Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > News and Announcements > Consumer News

Consumer News News items of interest to UK consumers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th November 2009, 12:15 AM
What Consumer Founder

Tony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Let Dominic Littlewood fight your battles.

DON’T GET DONE – GET DOM!

Dom’s back! With a new series of his hugely popular
BBC1 consumer affairs programme.

Let Dominic Littlewood fight your battles.

ARE YOU...
• Being treated unfairly by a company, retailer or local authority?
• Stuck on the complaints treadmill with no resolution in sight?
• Needing help to cut through the red tape?

OR are you willing to be an industry insider,
and help us lift the lid on big business anti-consumer tactics?

Please contact us ASAP for further information
OR an application form:

Series Hotline: 020 75987210
Series Email: dom@flametv.co.uk

If you find the forum useful do us a favour and like us on facebook.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony For This Useful Post:
JoymnPomPer (3rd July 2013)
Old 30th November 2009, 09:40 AM
Consumer Newbie

huanic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Let Dominic Littlewood fight your battles.

OR are you willing to be an industry insider,
and help us lift the lid on big business anti-consumer tactics?

Please contact us ASAP for further information
OR an application form:
Old 16th February 2010, 12:46 AM
Consumer

Snippa is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a great show for one reason, Dominic.

His everyman approach and demeanour lift it above the usual consumer stuff that is around.

He is also very good at instilling confidence in anyone who watches.

Definitely worth a look.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snippa For This Useful Post:
leminhcc (20th August 2011)
Old 27th October 2010, 01:03 PM
Consumer

uglybeaty is an unknown quantity at this point

I love Dom! ... I wish I could stand up to people like him!
The Following User Says Thank You to uglybeaty For This Useful Post:
Old 4th November 2010, 11:56 AM
Consumer Newbie

budgie is an unknown quantity at this point

hi my name is westley and i could do with some help i am haveing internet issus wich i just cant get sortted out xcus my spelling i am disabled with cp. i use to be on bt i was on there sevices on and off for about 3 years during that time i was getting probs with my speed was for ever ringing them up i even had a man come to my house to check things was right at my home when he came to my home he found a folt it was connectivity he rang from my home to bt and told them what the problem was and bt asured me they would sort it out well about 6 mounths ago a leaf let came thuw my door it was virgin saying we can say good by to bt for you so i rang them they told me they could provided me better internet for less money but at that time they could not sort it out as i was in a middile of a 2 year contracted with bt so i phone up bt canceled my bt with them had a cancel chage of about £400 did all that and moved over to virgin i was happy with my virgin for about 2 months it was great but then i started getting probs on virgin becouse i not in a cable airer i get my virgin thuw a adsl line now i am trying to get them to soert out my folt but finding it verry hard as they ae useing a bt tester and you can only use this onces every hour virgin costermer suport have told me theres a folt and theres nothing they can do about it so with them saying this i thought i had rights to cancel my internet with them but they seid no so i am haveing to pay for something now i am not getting right iv tryed to speak with them and they get verry funny with me on the phone to the point i am in tears they wont sort out my problem for me and i was wondering if there anything you can do to help me.
i look forward to hearing from you thanks and bless
p.s i have sent dom littlewood a email too with my name and number if you cant understand my spelling
Old 7th March 2011, 09:29 PM
Consumer

fighter is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding of this, if you don't have direct fibre optic cable feeds in your road, then Virgin use BT overhead lines.
The problem with overhead BT lines is the connection/speed becomes weaker the further your away from a BT exchanges.

Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to fighter For This Useful Post:
Old 12th July 2011, 01:25 AM
Consumer Newbie

alicewalker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I bought a Dell Laptop from Best Buys at Aintree on 03.10.10. in the last 3 months I have been experiencing difficulties with it, the noise has satrted to distort and the laptop switches itself off by itslelf. But the other day I had the laptop on my knee I took it off and set it on the sofa beside me and the screen cracked. I am careful with my laptop, I have never dropped it, never shut the lid with anyhting isdie it or never lent anything heavy on the lid. Its my first laptop. Best buys said that they would not fix it or send it to Dell as it was accidental damage and that I dropped it. Even though I have never dropped my laptop. I was told I have to pay for the repair which will cost around £100 to repair, but my laptop still is under warranty. And I have been told that it is a common fault in Dells for the screen to crack without dropping them. Where do I stand with this problem?
The Following User Says Thank You to alicewalker For This Useful Post:
Old 12th July 2011, 11:46 AM
Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewalker View Post
Hi,
I bought a Dell Laptop from Best Buys at Aintree on 03.10.10. in the last 3 months I have been experiencing difficulties with it, the noise has satrted to distort and the laptop switches itself off by itslelf. But the other day I had the laptop on my knee I took it off and set it on the sofa beside me and the screen cracked. I am careful with my laptop, I have never dropped it, never shut the lid with anyhting isdie it or never lent anything heavy on the lid. Its my first laptop. Best buys said that they would not fix it or send it to Dell as it was accidental damage and that I dropped it. Even though I have never dropped my laptop. I was told I have to pay for the repair which will cost around £100 to repair, but my laptop still is under warranty. And I have been told that it is a common fault in Dells for the screen to crack without dropping them. Where do I stand with this problem?
Gather evidence for forums or wherever as to it being a common fault with this model, better still if you can get a independent report that these models are prone to this.
Where its reasonable for goods to last up to six years you should be able to get a repair or a replacement, if a repair or replacement is not a option, then you may be able to get some of the purchase price you paid back, or be able to rescind the contract and get a refund.
Or you may be able to claim compensation from Bestbuy for the cost of a repair or replacement.
Also check your house insurance for legal cover and hopefully a solicitor will take on your case, by sending Bestbuy a “letter before action” that may resolve the issue before it ending up in the small claims court.

If a credit agreement is involved, the credit provider may be liable as well as the trader if there is a breach of contract, for example, if goods are unsatisfactory or another term of the contract has been broken, or if there has been misrepresentation. This is known as equal liability and arises under s75 Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Fighter
Old 13th July 2011, 06:32 PM
Consumer

The first part of my last post should have read.............Gather evidence from forums or wherever.
Fighter
Old 14th July 2011, 03:09 PM
Consumer Newbie

milbro007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tony
I wonder if you can give me some advice please?
I bought a VW Transporter T5 last july from Swansea Van Centre and within a few months we had big problems with it.
Eventually just a few days before Xmas my partner was driving it and it broke down after a load of smoke and loss of power just before a roundabout.
Swansea Van Centre wanted me to drive it hundreds of miles to their place at my expense and offered to pay a few quid towards the repair but obviously they didn't really want to know as they had my £8000 from me and that was it.
They promised to sort me out with an extended warranty to cover the massive garage bill etc but that never happened and in the end the bloke just stopped returning my calls.
I ended up taking it to a local garage in Camborne callled Treverbyn Motors to let them try and fix it and they had it for nearly 2 months and basically replaced the turbo and charged me £1060 for my troubles.
The chap there said that he thought my engine could go at anytime so i would probably need a new one.
Within 200 miles of driving it the turbo went again and when i asked him to look at it he said he would but he wanted to charge me to take a look at it to which i was very surprised and quite annoyed.
He then tried saying that he told me NOT to drive the van which was totally untrue and told me to ring Midland Turbo's direct and deal with them as i was rude to his receptionist but to be honest that's another story again.
Then he said that if Midland turbos rang him he would tell them that he told me not to drive the van hence invalidating my 12 month warranty i got with the turbo.
Suprisingly enough Midland Turbo's collected the turbo and when i rang them to enquire about the repair they said they wanted £240 from me as the repair wasn't covered by the warranty.
What a surprise!!!
I had no choice so i paid the money.
Then i registered with find-a-part Used Car Parts | Find a Part[/url] to find a replacement engine for my van.
I was contacted by a company called Green Engines in Birmingham and they said they had the perfect engine for me from a damaged 2007 T5 with only 47k on the clock.
I thought this was the answer to my problems so i paid the £915 directly into their account and after nearly two months of chasing them my engine arrived upside down at my designated garage.
After further inspection my mechanic discovered many more problems like the turbo was no good and there were bolts missing from the sump and the main crankshaft was very loose.
I tried ringing Green Engines and kept getting their answerphone so i left around 20 messages and now when i ring them all their phone does is carry on ringing.
I am REALLY worried i may have lost my money and my work van and soon my livelihood as i am a plumber and need my van for my work.
Could you please advise me on what i can do to find these robbers who have taken money i didn't really have?
Ive reported all this to trading Standards but im not sure what they can do if they cant find these people.
Please help me if you can??????

thanks

Simon.
The Following User Says Thank You to milbro007 For This Useful Post:
JoymnPomPer (24th June 2013)