Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > > >

Ebay Money saving tips for Ebay and other auction sites.

Old 18th February 2009, 06:50 PM
Senior Consumer Activist

kris1anne is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found that just making sure you look at a persons rating on the site and also their feedback can be really helpful in making sure that you are dealing with someone valid. It is interesting to know that if the seller positions themselves as a uk business your statuatory rights still apply. I was unaware of that until now. There is also an interesting thread on your rights concerning second hand goods, which many ebay purchases are that might be useful for this topic.
The Following User Says Thank You to kris1anne For This Useful Post:
Tony (18th February 2009)
Old 15th March 2009, 01:55 PM
Consumer

perfumemaster is an unknown quantity at this point

A good rating doesn't necesarily mean non-fake goods. I've seen people with 000's of listings and every now and again you spot a negative feedback stating fake.

Stick to low value good to ensure your covered and read the paypal protection info.
Old 18th June 2009, 11:01 AM
Consumer

keriSt09 is an unknown quantity at this point

I love ebay and due to this I buy lots of things on this platform and fortunately I never had problems. I sometimes sell things and the purchaser actually always paid prompt. I hope that I will be as lucky in the future as I was in the past. Besides this I am of the opinion that if you follow some rules and carefully check what you want to buy you can probably lower the risk scam.
Old 18th June 2009, 01:38 PM
Senior Consumer Activist

Rachelle is an unknown quantity at this point

I love ebay and have never had problems on this. I did buy something from somebody once with a dubous sounding name. It was something like crowbar and made me wonder whether or not he had got hold of the goods in an above board way. But I had committed to buying from him/her by the time I noticed the name and it arrived promptly and in great condition. Does make you wonder though ...
Old 18th June 2009, 11:22 PM

Chutzpah is on a distinguished road

I sold my car on eBay.

I only buy stuff on there from time to time but have never had an issue. I even had a chap send my goods to the wrong address once because somehow eBay managed to give him the wrong address, he sent a new one with no hesitation and wouldn't accept my offer to pay at least some of the cost.

I think the biggest thing I've bought is a second hand freezer. Oh, and a cooker.

Like others, I always check feedback first.
Old 8th October 2009, 06:21 PM
Consumer

kevinh1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Beware buying on ebay

For the most part ebay is fine. Just make sure you check the sellers feedback. If in doubt you can always ask the seller questions, or ask for better photos to be emailed to you
Old 28th September 2010, 04:51 PM
Consumer Newbie

Quick Cash Advice is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found that eBay is fine, but Gumtree is hit by a lot of scammers - particularity for the property rental section!
Old 15th December 2010, 04:55 AM
Consumer Newbie

lena25 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have never had a problem with ebay, Thank god.. always scan the feedback for a couple of minutes and go with my instinct...
But i recently got a pair of boots from there, they are absolutely gorgeous...
very helpful seller
Check them out.. type item number in ebay Search Box

Old 15th December 2011, 04:24 PM
Consumer Newbie

Isobel is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say I have never had a problem with ebay, but do always check their ratings before bidding.

I always thought Paypal was fool proof but there have been cases where people's money has not been safe and it has been falsely claimed back by fraudulent buyers claiming they never recieved their goods or they were faulty. Sellers beware too!
Old 15th December 2011, 08:09 PM

trickygj is an unknown quantity at this point

Had good and bad on eBay.

What I will never do again is sell a vehicle in the AutoTrader. You do not know who is arriving at your property.

I sold a vehicle last year and the first person to come round nearly killed me whilst driving off my driveway with the bonnet open! He eventually got caught some months later and was charged with approx 20 theft/robberies.

My insurance tried to get out of the claim although after some argument I did get paid out. Apparently some policies exclude theft if it is perpertraed by prospective purchashers!

Always ask prospective purchasers to bring photo ID and a utility bill with them. Do not let them test drive the vehicle themselves. They should always be a passenger mainly for insurance reasons.
Comments are provided in good faith. If in doubt obtain the advice of a solicitor. Please visit www.richardgjohnson.co.uk If you think this advice is helpful please feel free to click the thanks button.

Tags
buying online, ebay, paypal, sale of goods act