Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > >

Financial Services Banks, Building Societies, Credit Cards, Insurance Policies.

Old 19th September 2008, 06:07 PM
Senior Consumer Activist

GlasgowGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What would happen if the stock market was abolished?

Genuine question - given the havoc that has been wreaked over the last few days due to short selling, and the more general uncertainty that is created by fluctuations in the stock market, I began to wonder what would be different if there was no such thing?

Please note I am not a closet Marxist trying to bring about the overthrow of society via the medium of internet forums. I'm just curious: what changes would we notice? How would life be different?
Old 19th September 2008, 07:39 PM
What Consumer Founder

Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess you would have to ban the trading of stock as this would still happen whether the stock market was there or not - it just evolved to make the process easier. If that did happen the UK would dive into recession as the amount of cash this industry generates really drives our economy.
Old 1st October 2008, 04:41 PM
Senior Consumer Activist

katealpha is on a distinguished road

After reading your comment, Tony, I was curious to see how much of UK GDP (Gross Domestic Product, basically a country's income) comes from the world finance sector, and according to this article in Finance Week, it is only 7-8%.

Finance overall makes up 30% of GDP but most of this is domestic activity.
Old 2nd October 2008, 03:55 AM
Consumer

TVDinner is an unknown quantity at this point

The way the economy is currently set up and the way companies are currently valued, if the stock market was to be eliminated - the entire economic system would collapse. It would be choas and millions of people would be bankrupt, out of business, jobless, etc.
Old 7th October 2008, 09:31 PM
What Consumer Founder

Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by katealpha View Post
After reading your comment, Tony, I was curious to see how much of UK GDP (Gross Domestic Product, basically a country's income) comes from the world finance sector, and according to this article in Finance Week, it is only 7-8%.

Finance overall makes up 30% of GDP but most of this is domestic activity.
I stand corrected, I think I was getting mixed up with finance in general and the service sector.

Tony

Tags
stock market