Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

  • Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us


Go Back   Consumer Forum > Goods and Services > Financial Services

Financial Services Banks, Building Societies, Credit Cards, Insurance Policies.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19th September 2008, 11:21 PM
Senior Consumer Activist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 112
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
scotchlass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Royal Bank of Scotland

Before I say anymore I admit that I am very bad at budgeting just now but this bank IMO is just greedy (no wonder they have profits of 6 billion). A missed direct debit means that RBS charge me £38.00 (they apply it to the account the day after, taking you over your limit), if then there are still no funds in the account for the second attempt, there goes another £38.00 charge. Then because I have gone over my overdraft that month (due to the charges) I am then charged a further £28.00 to be taken out on a specified date as per my statement.
Without going into too much detail I am not earning (I used to work but I am now a stay-at-home mum) and I am just at my wits end trying to sort this out.

Anyone been in a similar situation that can offer advice? Are they allowed to do this? (Yes I know I have gone over the agreed limit but still... £38.00!!)
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 20th September 2008, 05:11 AM
Consumer Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dorset
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
barbarp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Yes unfourtunatly I have , and I have to say it was with RBS who quite frankly are a bunch of theives!
Firstly I would go in or ring their customer services and dispute the charges, especially the over the limit one! Try and do it in a calm yet assertive manner. Explain that you are trying to get your finances back on track but they are activly hindering you in the process.
Agree that it will never happen again {until the next time } and throw yourself on their mercy if need be. If the nicely nicely approach doesnt work ask where they stand on the recent spate of reclaimed unfair bank charges and tell them that you will be excerising your consumer right to vote with your feet. Forgot to add, there is always complaining to the banking obudsman!!
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...act/index.html

If threatening to close the account still doesn't do it then I would ask around other people to see who has had a relativly good experience with their bank and open an account with them.
When you close the account with RBS, take the time and have the pleasure of explaining to them exactly why they've lost your buisness!

To be honest I don't have a huge amount of faith in banks anyway but RBS does seem to consisitently come out as very poor.

Last edited by barbarp; 20th September 2008 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Banking obudsman
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 20th September 2008, 10:34 AM
Tony's Avatar
What Consumer Founder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bolton
Posts: 18,332
Thanks: 138
Thanked 228 Times in 193 Posts
Blog Entries: 2
Tony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

There are some members that are expert in this area e.g. Nattie who works for NatWest.

I recently got a late payment charge from MBNA, but managed to get it reversed by simply asking.

With regard to changing bank account some are offering £100 if you switch and will manage the whole process for you. e.g. Alliance & Leicester - Current Accounts - £100 Switching Incentive
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 20th September 2008, 08:14 PM
Consumer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
nattie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchlass View Post
Before I say anymore I admit that I am very bad at budgeting just now but this bank IMO is just greedy (no wonder they have profits of 6 billion). A missed direct debit means that RBS charge me £38.00 (they apply it to the account the day after, taking you over your limit), if then there are still no funds in the account for the second attempt, there goes another £38.00 charge. Then because I have gone over my overdraft that month (due to the charges) I am then charged a further £28.00 to be taken out on a specified date as per my statement.
Without going into too much detail I am not earning (I used to work but I am now a stay-at-home mum) and I am just at my wits end trying to sort this out.

Anyone been in a similar situation that can offer advice? Are they allowed to do this? (Yes I know I have gone over the agreed limit but still... £38.00!!)
There are many bank charges forums around that will have template letters about getting all your bank charges back. RBS work the same as NatWest. Unfortunately, the FOS are not dealing with any bank charges complaints due to the OFT test case. Sites such as moneysavingexpert/legal beagles/penalty charges/ consumer action group are campaign groups that can help with this regards.
Not sure if Tony is planning a reclaim guide but these site certainly do. I know admin and the owner of the LB site, so they will be able to help.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21st September 2008, 08:02 AM
Senior Consumer Activist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Coast
Posts: 141
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Paul Carcone is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Paul Carcone
Default

When I was a student and in a fairly tight financial situation, I normally found that a relatively polite and apologetic letter explaining the situation worked quite nicely...

However, if you really are hugely unhappy with your bank, then explain this to your branch and tell them that you are considering leaving. Bank managers have to explain closed accounts up the administrative chain...so you definitely have a bit of leverage there.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 21st September 2008, 09:51 AM
Consumer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
nattie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Carcone View Post
When I was a student and in a fairly tight financial situation, I normally found that a relatively polite and apologetic letter explaining the situation worked quite nicely...

However, if you really are hugely unhappy with your bank, then explain this to your branch and tell them that you are considering leaving. Bank managers have to explain closed accounts up the administrative chain...so you definitely have a bit of leverage there.
Paul, if someone threatened to close their account, I would getting an account closed form so quick that before the reason was mentioned it would be shut. There is no leverage in threatening to close an account becuase of charges. I wish it was as simple as that. Banks are not as flexable as before.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 21st September 2008, 12:09 PM
Tony's Avatar
What Consumer Founder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bolton
Posts: 18,332
Thanks: 138
Thanked 228 Times in 193 Posts
Blog Entries: 2
Tony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattie View Post
Not sure if Tony is planning a reclaim guide but these site certainly do. I know admin and the owner of the LB site, so they will be able to help.
We are waiting to see what the outcome of the OFT test case is. Ideally, the ruling will be that the banks have to do all the leg work and repay excessive charges without consumers having to jump through so many hoops. I haven't been following it very closely, but hopefully we will know soon.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23rd September 2008, 09:33 AM
Senior Consumer Activist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 112
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
scotchlass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Thanks for all your replies. I do actually have a company who are going to try and reclaim my charges but obviously we are waiting for the final ruling from the test case.

I was speaking to a friend who says that her branch of RBS phones her to tell her if she is going to have insufficient funds for a direct debit etc so she can go in and speak to them- I think I might change my branch, don't know if this wil help but it is worth a try !!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 1st October 2008, 06:13 PM
Consumer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
nattie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
We are waiting to see what the outcome of the OFT test case is. Ideally, the ruling will be that the banks have to do all the leg work and repay excessive charges without consumers having to jump through so many hoops. I haven't been following it very closely, but hopefully we will know soon.
Which outcome? Current terms and conditions have been made which is under appeal and historicals are due this month also due for appeal. There is still claims that can be made under the FSA Waiver, annex 2 on hardship.
Furthermore, business accounts are not covered by the OFT test case as the first ruling made that charges are not penalties in law under the UTCCR 1999.
There are still credit card claims not covered where the OFT has ruled that £12 is the limit in which they would not take action(that amount has no legal basis and is not part of the OFT test case).

Scottishlass, I know most of the consumer sites where you would pay £0 for claiming the money back and would not be giving away any returns. I am not a fan of these claims management companies.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 1st October 2008, 07:19 PM
Tony's Avatar
What Consumer Founder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bolton
Posts: 18,332
Thanks: 138
Thanked 228 Times in 193 Posts
Blog Entries: 2
Tony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattie View Post
terms and conditions have been made which is under appeal and historicals are due this month also due for appeal.
The outcome of that... perhaps we do need a guide. I'll PM you.

Quote:
Scottishlass, I know most of the consumer sites where you would pay £0 for claiming the money back and would not be giving away any returns. I am not a fan of these claims management companies.
I received an unsolicited call from one of these bank charge reclaim companies this week. It was one of those random diallers and a recorded message. I normally put the phone down, but I was intrigued. Anyway, when I got through to the operator the call went something like this:

Operator: "Hello, this is Anna, have you had a lot of bank charges in the last few years"
Me: "Not really, I was just..."
Operator: Click

Tony
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alliance & leicester, mbna, rbs


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the Royal Bank of Scotland samantha.gould Financial Services 0 17th January 2011 02:20 PM
Santander set to buy 318 branches from Royal Bank of Scotland Tony Consumer News 0 14th June 2010 06:54 AM
Royal Bank of Scotland and NatWest cut overdraft charges Tony Consumer News 1 7th September 2009 10:23 PM
Bailed-out Royal Bank of Scotland bankers set for millions in bonuses Tony Off Topic 0 5th February 2009 12:09 AM
Royal Bank of Scotland under state control Tony Off Topic 0 13th October 2008 01:41 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:42 AM.

The information on this website does not constitute professional advice. Advice is taken at your own risk.
Contact Us - UK Consumer Forum - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright Meanwhile Media Ltd 2008-2013

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92