Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > > >

Internet Service Providers For ADSL, cable and dial-up providers.

Old 29th July 2012, 05:00 PM
Consumer Newbie

PaulJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Orange Internet

I've just discovered that Orange have continued to charge me for a broadband account I had with them and cancelled 6 years ago, when I changed providers to TalkTalk.

Having gone back through my old bank statements, I worked out they've charged me over 1300 for a service they are not providing.

I know I will have cancelled the account with Orange, when I switched back in 2006, but it's so long ago I don't recall the specifics of how or when.

I've brought this to Orange's attention today, and they offered me a refund of 50% of the money they had taken - which they increasded to 75% when I told them I thought their offer was disgusting.

They stated they wouldn't give me a full refund, as I have a responsibility to check the payments going out of my account. My argument is that they were told to cancel the account, but failed to do so.

Obviously I want a full refund, but does anybody know where I stand legally, in relation to claiming back the money they have taken?

I realise I've been stupid for not checking my Direct Debits more thoroughly, and I can assure you I'll watch them like a hawk from now on. But stupid or not, should I be financially responsible for Orange's administrative failures?

I would be eternally grateful for any help or advice anybody could give me on this.
Old 30th July 2012, 11:07 AM

Witch consumer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orange Internet

You are legally entitled to a full refund of this money plus statutory interest at 8% per annum, it's not up to you to check your bank statements, it's up to them not to take money for a service they are not providing or a contract that no longer exists.

Go through their complaints procedure and if you don't get a full refund you can take the matter to the communications ombudsman or small claims court

Do not under any circumstances tell Orange you have no record of cancelling the account
The Following User Says Thank You to Witch consumer For This Useful Post:
PaulJ (7th September 2012)
Old 22nd December 2012, 01:28 PM
Consumer

jackomolight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Orange Internet

Well, you should definitely be able to take them to the small claims court, I think there is no doubt about that.