Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > > >

Internet Service Providers For ADSL, cable and dial-up providers.

Old 22nd April 2013, 08:28 PM
Consumer Newbie

Poirot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cancel my talktalk contract - leaving the country

Dear All,

I have a 1 year contract with TalkTalk and I would like to cancel my contract, this will cost me 9.5GBP per remaining month. However, I am leaving the country, I will close my UK bank account and I will never come back again in UK.

I read a lot of bad reviews about TalkTalk and their dishonesty, and I'm afraid that they charge me more than what they say. I would like to be honest and pay the cancellation charges because I am renting an accommodation and the BT line should be disconnected at the end of my tenancy. My questions are:

- Can TalkTalk "block" the line so it's not possible to have phone/internet access with another company for the new tenant?
- Can I cancel my Direct Debit to TalkTalk after the payment of the cancellation fees with any consequences (and their shouldn't be any consequences)?
- What would happen in a very bad case if I cancel my Direct Debit to TalkTalk and I leave the country with some cancellation fees that are still remaining?

Thank you very much for your help,
Poirot
Old 23rd April 2013, 05:54 AM

Witch consumer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cancel my talktalk contract - leaving the country

First question, no, they cannot block the line. 2, yes you cancel your direct debit as once you have cancelled and paid there is no contract and 3 they would send letters to your last known address even after you have told them you have left the country!