Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > >

Introductions It would be great to know who you are. Introduce yourself in this forum.

Old 8th August 2013, 12:29 AM
Consumer Newbie
CJones is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hi, I need help re liability dispute

Hi to all, I am driving myself up the wall with my car insurers and need some help. I was in a car accident 3 weeks ago. I will try to keep this short but it is complicated. I was in a line of traffic on a road that has four lanes, when I wanted to move into the left hand lane. The road was completely clear so I indicated and moved into the lane and proceeded up the road. Next thing I know I hear an awful noise and see a car next to mine, the driver pulled up in front of me and stopped. I was under the impression this person had hit my car. They got out of their car, then I got out. Someone pulled up and said they'd seen the accident and did they want their details. I was shocked when they then swapped details with the other driver. I did not admit liability as I felt I was not liable. There is damage to my front passenger side by the wheel arch, mainly a bump and scrape marks. The other driver had a few scrapes on their rear driver side door. I contacted my insurance straight away to put in a claim and a few days later was told my insurance had admitted liability. I asked how come I was liable and was told because I'd pulled out when not safe and she had a witness. Then found out the other party hadn't even contacted them.
They have now contacted claiming injury. Both myself and my daughter were uninjured and as an honest person I will not say otherwise. I am disputing liability but my insurers won't even investigate. I thought they could only assess liability after reading statements from both parties. What happens when your own insurers accept liability when you don't. They even told me they do it this way to reduce costs. Has anyone else come across something like this? All answers and help gratefully received.