•  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > >

Old 22nd May 2009, 07:31 PM

TracyG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is tap water safe to drink?

I buy bottled water and I also drink water from the tap, but I do often question whether tap water is safe to drink. Probably not! What do others think?

I don't really want to keep buying bottled water though. I'm thinking maybe a Brita Filter Jug.
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:36 PM
What Consumer Founder

Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember reading that most people can't tell the difference between bottled water and tap water, esp if it has been left to stand. In another study I read that it is often better quality than bottled water too - don't waste your money it is the biggest con in the world. I don't even think you need a filter.

Get 24/07 Legal Advice ==> CLICK HERE <==
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:41 PM

Chutzpah is on a distinguished road

I've also read that in a lot of cases tap water is actually better quality than bottled.

I only buy bottled if I'm out and about and really thirsty (or need a new bottle to go to the gym with). Tap water is fine for me, though I have lived in Wiltshire where use of a water jug is advised by me.
Old 23rd May 2009, 07:27 AM
Senior Consumer Activist

happywriter is an unknown quantity at this point

Tap water in UK is normally safe to drink; sometimes to the extent that it is of such a quality that many UK people get unused to the normal 'bugs' of life.
UK tourists are often struck down by 'funny tummy' on vacations, when continental tourists are fine with the prevailing conditions.
As salads/fruit etc. is usually prepared/washed with tap water in all locations, drinking bottled water does not eliminate exposure to the effects of local water quality. In all countries plates, cutlery are washed in tap water.
Old 23rd May 2009, 08:13 AM

TracyG is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. I will now be drinking much more tap water opposed to bottled water, saving money and the enviroment. It is true what Tony says, there is no difference in taste between bottled and tap water (not that I can tell anyway).
Old 1st June 2009, 09:54 AM
Consumer

frdjns74 is an unknown quantity at this point

you know it really depends if it is private or not we moved from a town to the country where our water comes straight from the hills into a private water supply, I was ill for 2 weeks till my body got used to it, but now I can't drink anything else (it is the same water supply as the bottled deeside water) and definitely recommended although I have never bought bottled water
Old 1st June 2009, 10:27 AM

Georginazn is an unknown quantity at this point

We have our own spring and have never had ill effects, nor have any visitors and the water is very sweet. I do notice a chlorine taste in tap water elsewhere, but I am sure that the water is safe. If you are happy with the taste of your tap water, it is worth investing in a long lasting water bottle that you can refill ad infinitum, as buying water seems an expensive longterm proposition although I don't see the difference between buying bottled water, or buying a soda, - the former is healthier! Refilling the bottles the water comes in is not recommended as they can supposedly release toxins after a time.
Old 9th June 2009, 07:27 AM
Consumer Newbie

orangesunshine is an unknown quantity at this point

I also buy bottled water and we have water purifier at home. It's just a precaution at home. So, I'm not really sure if tap water is safe or what.
Old 9th June 2009, 09:41 AM

Chutzpah is on a distinguished road

I think the fact that the whole population of the western world drink tap water and is still going strong hints that it's generally OK.
Old 10th June 2009, 06:51 AM
Senior Consumer Activist

happywriter is an unknown quantity at this point

In a few years time there may be a promotion of 'mountain air' which can be purchased - which will be the 'natural air from a mountain region'.
It will be as effective as bottled water.
I saw an advert for a can of such an item a long time ago, don't know if it is still being produced.