Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > >

Other Goods and Services If you can't find a relevant category above, post it here. New categories will be created based on demand.

Old 21st October 2010, 06:36 PM
Consumer Newbie

The Reluctant Consumer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Warranty Dispute

Hello all

I recently bought a new mountain bike (7 weeks ago). The front forks have a fancy axle called a Maxle which goes through the hub of the wheel and screws into the leg of the fork. Whilst riding the wheel became loose and I noticed the threads were damaged so that the axle would not sit tight.

The forks are dealt with by a UK distributor called Fisher Outdoor. The shop I bought the bike from rang Fisher Outdoor and were told that I had over tightened the axle and that it would not be covered by warranty and would cost £243 plus labour.

So I rang Fisher Outdoor the next day, explained the problem and they said that warranty decisions cannot be made over the phone and that I would need to send them in for inspection before a decision could be made. I expressed my anger at being told that I had over tightened it (manual says it needs to be 'hand tight' and to not use any tools) and it wouldn't be warranty. I explained that I have followed the manual to the letter and that the product must be defective to fail within 7 weeks.

The shop are going to send the forks to Fisher Outdoor for inspection this saturday and so I have drafted a letter to explain my side of the story and to request that they repair them for free.

This is the last couple of paragraphs of my letter:
"To pay £2000 for a new bike with alleged ‘Top-End’ forks and then for them to break within 7 weeks and cost me a further £243 plus labour is completely unacceptable. Also, to accuse me of over tightening without even seeing the said forks or offering to discuss it further is outrageous.

In light of the statements above I respectfully request that Fisher Outdoor cover the cost of the repair to my forks in order to honour my statutory rights as a UK consumer, atone for misleading me without inspection of the product, and to restore my faith in the Rock Shox/SRAM brand"

My question to my fellow forum users is: What can I do if they refuse to fix them for free and they state that this is not covered under warranty?

Thanks

TRC