Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > >

Other Goods and Services If you can't find a relevant category above, post it here. New categories will be created based on demand.

Old 21st October 2011, 03:43 PM
Consumer Newbie

singlemumof2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Washing Machine

I bought a washing machine on the 26th April 2011 from Argos, i called them yest as the seal on the inside of the door has totally separated from the machine, the engineer called out today and advised that a new seal is required and he would order the part, which was acceptable to me, on leaving he advised he would also order a new motor and sum other part JUST INCASE it needed this, he didn't even look at these parts to check if they needed replaced, just looked at the seal, then when asked about the timescale i was looking at his response was "well how long is a piece of string" i was gobsmacked, i am a single mum of 2 and can not afford to go to a laundrette to do my washing for maybe 2 weeks or more, the engineers attitude was totally shocking and i have since made a complaint regarding him, but my question is, as the machine isn't even 6 months old, am i within my rights to ask for a replacement rather than the repair? i do not want this engineer back in my house either an it is causing such an inconvienience to me.
Old 21st October 2011, 04:04 PM

trickygj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Washing Machine

singlemumof2

Hi

Because of the length of time you have been using the machine you have in all likeliness accepted the goods. What this means is that you will not have an automatic right to reject them for a full refund.

Because they are not yet six months old you do not have to prove in any way the goods were faulty when you bought them and Argos are under an obligation to repair or replace them, it is up to them and without doubt it is likely they will repair.

Under SOGA 1979 repairs have to be carried out in a within a reasonable time but without causing 'significant inconvenience'. If they can't do this then you are entitled to claim either a reduction on the purchase price, or your money back, minus an amount for the usage you've had of the goods (called 'recision').

A 'piece of string' timelimit is not acceptable. I would go back and complain stating what you have here and tell them that if they cannot reapir it quicker you will ring local companies to see if they can repiar it quicker. If they can you will instruct one of them to do this and reclaim the amount off Argos.

Make sure to mention the motor etc. as I am sure this does not sound right for a door seal problem.

You also have the right to stop anyone coming into your house and if your reasons are reasonable they will have to send another engineer.

hope this helps
Comments are provided in good faith. If in doubt obtain the advice of a solicitor. Please visit www.richardgjohnson.co.uk If you think this advice is helpful please feel free to click the thanks button.