Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > >

Other Goods and Services If you can't find a relevant category above, post it here. New categories will be created based on demand.

Old 23rd April 2012, 04:35 PM
Consumer Newbie

Notahappybunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Domestic & general ripoff

20th December 2010 my Cannon Kendal cooker was delivered it came with a FREE 5yr PARTS GUARANTEE which gave me peace of mind.

Domestic & General said to cover me for 'labour charge' it would cost 5.99 a month. Having paid a great deal for my cooker, we two days later had to cancel as the fee was an extra expence we could not afford at the time & I said I would take it out later.

On 18th April 2012 I called Domestic & General to take out the 'labour charge' policy as half of my grill would not work (can be used full or half).
The call handler told me the cost would be 15.79 monthly. I told him I was told the cost was 5.99 monthly. He said that price was then the price now was 15.79 or 189.48 a year.

I called Domestic & General today, 23rd 2012 to cancel & said I'd just like the part instead. The call handler said I couldn't have the 'FREE' part without taking out the 'labour call out policy' & further "had I not read the small print". What a RIPOFF.

Therefore I have had to pay the 31.51 for two months & 15.79 per month afterward or not have the use of a full grill.
The engineer representing Cannon came this afternoon but did not have the part with him although it clearly showed on his laptop screen & hopefully will come Friday with part.

My quip is that: I was not told initially that the monthly cost would go up if I didn't take out the 'labour call out policy' that day, had I been told so I would have scraped the money together. Its a total RIPOFF. One should be told when speaking in the first instance. Is there anything I can do.

A DISGRUNTLED D&G customer.
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:05 PM

Witch consumer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Domestic & general ripoff

Firstly, any extended guarantee for parts or labour offered is in addition to your statutory rights under SOGA and to be perfectly honest, I would expect a cooker to last longer than 15 months.

Who provided the 5 year parts guarantee? Domestic and General merely provide service cover so I can't see how they could offer this service provided as part of your cooker purchase? if this is the case, sounds like mis-selling to me, you didn't have a five year parts guarantee at all.
Old 24th April 2012, 02:17 PM
Consumer Newbie

The "Cannon appliance carry a fully inclusive 12 months parts & labour guarantee plus FREE parts for the first 5 years provided that they are fitted by their service engineers" That means taking out a policy with Domestic & General. How ever they said yesterday 23rd April 2012 that one has to take out the labour call out at point of purchase to qualify for the cheaper 5.99 monthly payment otherwise taking out the labour call out when there is a problem the cost is 15.79 monthly or or 189.48 a year.
Old 24th April 2012, 02:33 PM
Consumer Newbie

How can I get this information from the 'trade association'?
(As regarding durability in my case the Cannon Grill element, how long should it last).

The engineer that came out yesterday representing Cannon, compared my grill to a light bulb some last number of years others a month or two.
Old 24th April 2012, 03:41 PM

Sorry I may be being a bit slow here, but I still don't see why Cannon offering you a five year parts guarantee on a new cooker purchase means you have to take out a policy with Domestic & General, Cannon have their own service website for parts here:

https://parts.cannonservice.co.uk/b2...eaid=navigator

so surely they can provide you with the free parts and if necessary (and probably cheaper) charge for labour for fitting?
Old 24th April 2012, 04:17 PM
Consumer Newbie

Angry Re: Domestic & general ripoff

No Cannon refused to supply the part if I do not take out a years policy with D&G; at the cost of 15.79 mth = 189.48 yr.

Got in touch with the retailer whom telephoned Cannon, will not accept it is a matter of durability although I believe durability was added to the sale of goods act. Therefore I'm left with a bill of 189.48.

This five year parts guarantee is a RIPOFF.

Really there is no guarantee
Old 25th April 2012, 09:41 AM

Then as I said previously, there never was a five year guarantee, there was an offer to pay for an extended guarantee which you rightly could refuse to take but if you bought the cooker on any other understanding than that, I think it was mis-sold.

If I were you I'd speak to trading standards on this one, and as it is really an insurance matter, you could ask the question of the FOS.

In the mean time, rather than pay the 189.48 to D&G or Cannon, I would ask a local repairer for a quote. I still think you could expect a cooker, or any of its component parts to last longer than 15 months but TS will advise on this and if they find in your favour, either Cannon will have to carry out the repair or you will be able to pass on the bill for the repair to them.
Old 25th October 2013, 02:09 PM
Consumer Newbie

dennyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

i have been with domestic and general for over 15 yrs with a central heating cover insurance (platinum) which entitles us to a free service each summer,we had a new bathroom fitted 5 yrs ago and had our rusty radiator replaced with a chrome plated towel rail/radiator,4 weeks ago we decided as the weather was getting cooler we would start using it to keep the room warm as well as helping to dry the towels, well, when we tried to open the valve it was stuck fast (due to being shut all summer)! i managed to open it a small bit but it wasn't enough to warm up the towel rail/radiator so i put a call into domestic and general they gave me a working code to give to their engineers "THE HEAT TEAM",when i called them and gave them the working code and explained the problem, i was put on hold,after a short while they took me off hold and informed me that as it was a towel rail! i was not covered, i explained that even though it was a towel rail and RADIATED heat and was indeed an integral part of the central heating system for which i was insured and paid for they said that under the "whats not covered" part of the policy it says that "claims arising from convector heaters or from towel heater/rails" are not covered, i find this a play on words and think this refers to electric convector heaters and electric towel rails, i have complained to them by letter and they still say i am NOT covered.
Old 25th October 2013, 06:31 PM

The easiest option is probably to complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service as they cover insurance, let them make the decision D&G have to comply with whatever they decide. For what it's worth, I share your opinion but it is a bit ambiguous.
Old 28th October 2013, 04:20 PM
Consumer Newbie

dennyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Domestic & general ripoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch consumer View Post
The easiest option is probably to complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service as they cover insurance, let them make the decision D&G have to comply with whatever they decide. For what it's worth, I share your opinion but it is a bit ambiguous.
thanks for the info,i have indeed sent off a copy of my reply from D&G and a letter of explanation to the financial ombudsman and am awaiting a reply and will abide by their decision.