Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > >

Other Goods and Services If you can't find a relevant category above, post it here. New categories will be created based on demand.

Old 21st May 2017, 10:01 AM
Consumer Newbie

elvesandgremlins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Festival Discrimination

Not sure if this is the right place or even the right forum...

To be brief, I paid to attend an African festival with my mixed race son. When I phoned the organiser to make sure payment had been received, I was told I would need someone black to take my son to the festival. They are going to give me a refund. I can give more details of the conversation, but have been told by the EASS that this is direct and indirect discrimination on grounds of colour.

I intend to complain in writing, but just wonder if there are any festival rights organisations who should know about this. In another part of the website they are asking for funds, but they don't discriminate there about the colour you have to be to donate.

Also, on the money/consumer side. I paid by direct transfer and the woman on the phone was going to transfer funds back to my account. She now says she has to send a cheque. I wonder if this is a way to cover herself legally, but I'm not sure. Just seems a bit strange.
Old 23rd May 2017, 09:20 AM
Consumer Activist

Divine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Festival Discrimination

Hi elvesandgremlins,

Welcome to Consumer Forum. We're sorry to hear what happened. One of our authorized representative will respond to your question shortly, but in the meantime please introduce yourself here: http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/introductions/

Best wishes,

Divine

Tags
festival, told, give, colour, funds, transfer, direct, discrimination, son, paid, discriminate, donate, place, website, part, money/consumer, woman, cover, legally, strange, bit, cheque, send, back, phone