Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > >

Other Goods and Services If you can't find a relevant category above, post it here. New categories will be created based on demand.

Old 18th June 2009, 06:40 PM
Consumer Newbie

jake20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sports Equipment & Durability

Hi,
I purchased some ski boots from a well known British retailer before an Easter skiing trip. While on holiday the leather exterior of the boots had begun to tear, and after 14 days of use the boots had sustained significant damage- damage which potentially could cause an accident, and which is not simply superficial.

The boots were recommended to me by the retailer after answering a few questions (ability, skiing experience etc.) and having my feet measured. I had no prior knowledge of this particular model of boot before entering the shop – although I was reassured by the good name of the manufacturer and the recommendations by the retailer.

I returned the boots after coming home, and they sent them away to be assessed.

I got a letter today which states that:
‘the damage to the ski boots was caused by fair wear and tear ....
No fault was found in the construction of the boots or the materials used ....’

And so they say that I cannot claim under the warranty, and should collect the boots from the store.

I consider the fault to be with the product design – specifically the durability. My last pair of boots lasted several years of winter holidays.
Where do I stand?

Thanks for any responses.
Old 18th June 2009, 11:18 PM

Chutzpah is on a distinguished road

Fair wear and tear within 14 days? Amazing!

When exactly did you buy them?
Old 19th June 2009, 09:31 AM
Consumer Newbie

The receipt is at home, but approx 3 weeks before going skiing , and used the boots for 13 days skiing.

Bought ~ 15th Febuary,
Went skiing 3rd - 17th March,
Returned* ~ 5th April

*I live about 150miles from the store so when I got home I rang them up told them about the problems and returned the boots about 3 weeks after returning from my trip.

The retailer offers a 'comfort' guarentee as standard with all ski boots sold and is dated until the end of April.
Old 19th June 2009, 09:44 AM
Consumer Newbie

The comfort guarantee purely relates to the fit of the boot i.e. If after using the boots you are not happy they will try there best to customize the boot for you foot shape to improve the fit, If that doesn't work they will give you a credit note for a proportion of the purchase price.

However for actual skis the guarantee different

In there terms + conditions:

'Ski Suitability
We are so confident that we will help you select the right type and size of ski, we guarantee it. However if you are not happy with our recommendation, return the skis to us and we will exchange them. We reserve the right to make a rental charge of 25% of the skis value for each week of use.'

The rental charge is fair enough- as it stops people ripping them off.