Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > > >

Scam Alerts Post information about scams here.

Old 13th June 2012, 04:45 PM
Consumer Newbie

lybrand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paysafe scam

After replying to an ad on Gumtree, I've been in contact with an "Alexa" also offering to deliver an electronic drumkit using Parcelforce's "Cash on Delivery" system. Mostly she was plausible but I realised pretty quickly that Parcelforce don't offer this service, got onto Google and found this forum. The last email I had from Alexa was virtually identical to those listed above so I won't quote it but would just like to add my own experience as a warning to others...
Have informed Gumtree but as yet have heard nothing from them. Don't know whether to say anything to the scammers or just let it go. Unfortunately they do have an email address a mobile number and a postcode for me which is pretty disconcerting!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lybrand For This Useful Post:
Devonblue (27th October 2012), Witch consumer (13th June 2012)
Old 13th June 2012, 11:28 PM
Consumer Newbie

wendy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: alexa edwards

Well, just been on Gumtree, or Scamtree as it will be now known. The ad was taken of and then put back on a couple of hours later. Same photo and every thing! are they $&^%)* Stupid!! Im begining to think this Alexa thing actually owns Gumtree!!
What do they have working for them? I will be in touch with trading standards tomorrow and anybody else that will bloody well listen.

By the way, Its a Sahara 6 tent, with all the other bits and bobs advertised from Merseyside, 100
Old 14th June 2012, 07:45 AM
Consumer Newbie

jimreece48 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife has informed the National Fraud Office who automatically inform the Police. Since writing about the scam on Facebook I now find that some of our friends have been subject to the same scam - one last week paid out 400 for parts advertised on Gumtree! I love Wendy1's description of Gumtree as Scamtree
Old 7th July 2012, 05:43 PM
Consumer Newbie

let me out is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also just been scammed by these, any ideas of who we could inform, not for the money back, but just to make people aware and just incase there are any repercussions?
Old 7th July 2012, 05:53 PM
Consumer Newbie

jimreece48 is an unknown quantity at this point

The National Fraud Office is aware of this scam, ParcelForce is aware of the scam and the Police are aware. All we can do is keep reporting them as they arise, inform our friends and neighgbours by word of mouth and include others through social media including Facebook and Twitter and hopefully one day these low lifes will get caught.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimreece48 For This Useful Post:
Devonblue (20th September 2012)
Old 7th July 2012, 06:06 PM
Consumer Newbie

let me out is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for that, I noticed one comment mentioned if you had paid by debit card you could ask the bank if it was posssible to try a 'chargeback' . Does anyone know any more on this?
Old 7th July 2012, 10:42 PM

Witch consumer is on a distinguished road

Debit card chargeback is a voluntary service provided by the banks and unlike crdit cards, the bank has no legal responsibility to return the money. They attempt to take it back from the sellers bank account so unless the money is paid directly into someone's bank account, it wouldn't work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Witch consumer For This Useful Post:
Devonblue (24th September 2012)
Old 10th July 2012, 04:43 PM
Consumer Newbie

e1703032 is an unknown quantity at this point

A BIG THANK YOU!

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this forum, you have just saved me 200!

I was communicating with the seller and I received the same style emails as everyone else even the little 'ta' at the end of the email was the same!

I managed to cancel the deal before it went too far, but I phoned the non-emergency police number (101) to report it and I got told that because I didn't hand money over, they didn't want my emails as evidence and that they wasn't even investigating the scam!

I know there are tough cuts to public spending, but seriously, wtf is wrong with our police force!?!?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to e1703032 For This Useful Post:
Old 10th July 2012, 05:48 PM

Witch consumer is on a distinguished road

It seems this forum is working well, another person prevented from handing over hard earned cash to scammers.

As far as the police are concerned, if no money is handed over, I suppose there is no crime!

I wonder if any of the people who have been scammed have reported it to the police?

Incidentally, I sent an email to Gumtree a few weeks ago for their comments on this matter and surprisingly, haven't had a reply, I have checked their scams page and this particular one isn't included so obviously they don't give a fig
The Following User Says Thank You to Witch consumer For This Useful Post:
Old 27th July 2012, 10:13 PM
Consumer Newbie

lyndac is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Paysafe scam

unfortunately i did not see these in time. i replied to an add on gumtree for some furniture, the "lady" sent me a text with her e-mail address (amandawilder75@gmail.com), she seemed very nice, she was visiting her mother, low signal on her mobile etc, maybe she could drop it off for me, stupidly i gave her my address. she then e-mailed to say that she had been called into work and that as a perk of the job she can send shipments out via parcelforce , i could inspect and pay on delivery. i said great. i then got an email which looked as thought it was from parcelforce which said alll i had to do to release the delivery was to get a UKASH voucher, scan it to them to verify it and they would release this for delivery. i did all of this and then when i called parcelforce to ask what time delivery woudl be they said they dont deal with UKASH and that they have had several calls about people buying from a woman on gumtree and its a scam!!. i have reported it to the police (who dont do anything about this other than take the details, give you a reference and then give you the num,ber for action fraud) i called action fraud who can again only take all the details and pass it to the national fraud investigation bureau who may or may not take up the case. i have called UKASh who say that the voucher was redemed yesterday for an online purchase , i said that as they know what it has been used to pay for can they not contact the company to say it he been paid for with money obtained fraudulently but they say they can only look into this at the request of the police (who as you remember have already told me that they will not do anything). what is scary is that now they have my name, address and my telephone number and i have no idea if they will try and use these details to try and obtain more money in a fraudulent way
The Following User Says Thank You to lyndac For This Useful Post: