Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > > >

Second Hand Cars Whether purchased a used car from an independent dealer or a franchise these represent a major source of consumer complaints.

Old 1st December 2016, 04:58 PM
Consumer Newbie

Caveman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private seller refusing to refund deposit on a car sold subject to satisfactory revie

Hi Everyone,

My first consumer post; can anyone help.

I paid a 400 deposit to a private seller on the understanding that I was buying the car subject to "satisfactory inspection"; i.e. I would not go ahead if major issues were found and indicated that I would consider this to be costs greater than 600 or 700.

I received a signed receipt from the seller stating this and agreed that I would pay for the inspection. I did this and, unfortunately, thousands of pounds of work came up for a car being sold for 7,250. I said that as significant issues had come up I didn't want to proceed and could I have my deposit back. The seller refused and said that no-one could prove that the receipt (identifying him, his address, the total price, the deposit paid and the car) was signed by him. What rights do I have?
Old 1st December 2016, 08:34 PM
Consumer Newbie

Sunnysuer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Private seller refusing to refund deposit on a car sold subject to satisfactory r

Do you have any proof of interaction? For example email or text. If so get on to your local trading standard.
Old 2nd December 2016, 05:25 PM
Consumer Newbie

Default Re: Private seller refusing to refund deposit on a car sold subject to satisfactory r

Yes; I have the signed sales receipt indicating that the sale is dependent upon the inspection. Once I have it I will have the inspection with all the issues identified which could easily be translated into costs (which would be significant in value compared to the sale price of the vehicle). Most importantly I have an email string where I am flagging that the inspection will flag expensive items and my example is one of the issues that was identified. His response agreed to finding time to facilitate the inspection.
Old 2nd December 2016, 05:48 PM
Consumer Newbie

Sunnysuer is an unknown quantity at this point

Get on to your local trading standards and see we're you stand. Might need to go to a small claims court. Good luck x
Old 2nd December 2016, 05:56 PM
Consumer Newbie

Thanks; maybe the threat of a CCJ will get his attention? I will look in to that. I think it helps that the email chain demonstrates acceptance on top of the signed receipt.

Tags
car, deposit, seller, paid, signed, receipt, private, issues, sold, subject, satisfactory, 7, 250, inspection, work, rights, thousands, pounds, back, address, total, refused, no-one, identifying, proceed, significant