Consumer Forum

Consumer Information

• Clear and Practical Consumer Advice
  •  
  •  
Consumer Direct

Support Us About Us

Go Back   Consumer Forum > > >

Second Hand Cars Whether purchased a used car from an independent dealer or a franchise these represent a major source of consumer complaints.

Old 30th September 2017, 03:41 PM
Consumer Newbie

Nuno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default warranty ran out 3rd Sep,car broke down 6 days later,ECU packed up

Hi everyone,
So,i bought a second hand car on finance about 4 months ago (Renault Clio,2013) from a dealership,it came with a 3 months warranty,the manufactor warranty (4 years) ran out on the 3rd Sep and the car broke down on the 6 Sep..
Toke the car to Renault service station and found out it was the ECU module that failed internally and needs to be replaced.
The cost of the ECU is about 500 plus labor,on top of what i already own them from diagnostic (96) and 2 hours labor as they have been trying other things before going further to the ECU, totally near 200..
The dealership where i bought the car says their 3 month warranty ran out and it's not with them.
At this point and due to the fault of the car being the ECU which is not a wear and tear part and the main electrical component that is not expectable to brake down after 4 years, i feel that Renault should be responsible to replace the part free of charge..
Am i wrong?
Should i look for legal advice or can anyone help with this matter?
Any help at this stage would be very appreciated.
Thank you

Tags
car, ecu, renault, ran, warranty, years, part, sep, 3rd, bought, broke, months, tear, wear, 200, main, brake, expectable, component, electrical, fault, month, later, ecu, dealership, due