Game uk

pkbl44

Dec 3, 2008
I have a special hatred for game uk and would love the oppo to make this particular company wish it was never in existence.
please let me have an off shoot thread just for this store that sells me a game
for fifteen pounds then offers sixty pence trade-in value the following week...
let us all stand up for ourselves instead of being doormats yeah.
I mean how many people are buying games for xmas paying twenty plus pounds
only for our nephews etc to trade them in on boxing day and getting fifty pence
trade-in value ??????????????

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I never understand why anybody would buy from Game as they seem more expensive than their competitors - the last game I bought was £39 in Game and I managed to get it in Asda next door for £25. I guess they must be making serious money out of the secondhand games market, which is their unique selling point on the high street.

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
I used to shop in Game all the time but it seems ridiculous now when you can go to the likes of Asda or Tesco and get the same item for less. I haven't actually traded any games in but I won't be going by what you say!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You can get more by selling them on e-bay, but then you have all the hassle of postage and packing which is a bore after the novelty of selling things on ebay wears off.

Tony

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
You could always sell them at a car boot sale :) My husband and I went to ne just before we moved last year and he had a few newer games to sell. He still managed to get about £15/£20 for the newer titles......

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I have sympathy with the poster here... I've taken a bundle of games into game to exchange and I think for around 10-15 games, I was offered about £25. What annoyed me is that they were selling these exact same pre-owned games from £10-£25 on the shelves.

In the end I brought them home here, sold a few on Ebay and kept the others... which has proved useful as my kids now love playing the older games and I made about the same amount of money. But as Tony said, sorting out the P&P day after day can be a royal pain in the derriere.

I posted a while back about HMV moving into this area and I think it is an area that needs to be looked at. I am not sure if any regulations apply but I would hope that some law would be passed in where a retailer is only allowed to sell on any pre owned game, at a certain percentage of what they bought it for. It is unfair that they put ten, fifteen or twenty times the price they paid for an item on both the person who sold the game to them, and the person who wants to buy it.

That said, I am sure there is a little business opportunity for someone here to undercut the shops and still make a tidy profit.