Twitter

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Well everybody else seems to be doing it.

I have set up Whatconsumer on Twitter. If that is something you are into you can twit us here:

Twitter / whatconsumer

They call it microblogging, the only benefit I can think of is that you can get SMS updates of new posts on What Consumer for free on your phone.

Tony

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I started using twitter a week ago after much nagging from a work colleague. I didn't get the point but I'm now addicted!

As it's so simple (one of the things that I didn't originally understand about it... you just tell people what you're doing in 140 characters and that's it?) I can easily update what I'm doing, or even better what my son's doing, on my mobile phone. I think you'll either love it or hate it.

Anyway, just clicked to follow!

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Tony, could you do headline updates on key issues featured on the site - that might be really useful?

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Love it or Hate it!

I twitter a fair old bit, but mainly conversationally. Once you realise that the celebs tend to chatter with each other, (rather than us Plebeians!) it's a good place to hook up with other people with shared interests. Unlike Facebook, where you keep in touch with friends (although you can join groups), it is really easy to do a 'Twitsearch' for subject specifics. However, once you make evident an interest, expect to be followed by all manner of media marketing Twitterers! I follow Deepak Chopra and Russel Grant (don't ask!) and every day, someone wants me to follow them so I can get their gems of trite wisdom spooled to me!
For snippets that you might want to follow up though, news from What Consumer would be great. I'm following!

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Do you know I have been trying it recently but really cant get into it - what am I doing wrong?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
You're probably not doing anything 'wrong' kris1anne, it's not for everyone.

As I said in an earlier post, I find it easy to update on my son's development and make other observations that my wife/friends might like to know.

Emailing pics from my phone whilst I was on holiday last week was amazingly easy, and today I went for a walk on my lunch break and took a picture of the Matthew (Welcome to The Matthew) that is currently out of the water and being spruced up and posted it to Twitter since I figured it was something different in my day.

Others track their expenditure on Twitter (obviously not with a public profile!)

You never know, one day you might find how it works for you. I think it's different for everyone!

keriSt09

Jun 18, 2009
I am using Twitter for a while now and I really really love it. I think this platform is a great idea.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
We now have 774 followers on twitter which seems good. Not sure how many are "get rich quick" scammers though.

Tony

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
Twitter is not for me ... or is it?

I tried twitter, and I was so annoyed by its inability to do more, that I actually started hating it ... and then only a couple of weeks ago David Cameron the Leader of the Opposition, used a rude word or two to describe tweets and twitters ... maybe its time to try it again.

But like people have already said, I found when I used it before, alsorts of people and organisations wanted to follow me ... and then the people I wanted to follow were being drowned in tweets from those who I didn't want.

Maybe twitter needs some who is disciplined ... can I rise to the challenge and be disciplined? can I use Twitter to the benefit of me and members of this forum?

I guess I'll go back to twitter, and give it another go, and clear out all those american chat show hosts and politicians, and see if my tweeting experience is more pleasurable this time.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
It's something I realise I'm going to have to get into. I think that ignorance is what is making me fearful and there's nothing for it but to jump in head first and see what all the fuss is really about. I did set one up a while ago but I became quite nervous about some of the strange people that for some reason were wanting to follow me!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
You can always make your profile private if you wish to. Stops all those odd people following you....

If you do give it another go Rachelle feel free to send me a personal message and I'll give you my Twitter feed details. Then you can see just how banal my life can be.... ;)

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I've just declined 17 young ladies wanting to show me naked pics on twitter, because every single one was a link to a pay site, pay to register, then gets loads of rubbish sent to you.

I'm not going private on twitter ... yet ... but the time may come when I need too.

I've just updated my name on twitter too - I'm finally getting the hang of it. I'm now michael2lewis

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Chutspah - thanks for that. Actually it's good to hear that your life is mundane as I think that might be what I find offputting about Twitter - that I am expected to regale entertaining tales of what's been going on when in fact .... although I have to say on Saturday I was covered in ashes, running away from the Fire of London. Great work as an extra on a set! Huge fun. Not huge money though. Oh well!