Can I use a mobile phone for practical internet access?

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Virgin have told me that the new phone that I am purchasing, a Nokia 2600, will provide internet access by using it as a modem to a laptop computer.
I am not buying it for that reason, so I am not really concerned. However, when I started to think about it the possibility became attractive, at 30p a day, if the service and speed is reasonable - especially whilst travellling.
Has anybody got experience in this service?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Having used different phones on a different network for exactly this service, it will be OK, but nothing special. I would class it as "useful if you're staying in a hotel and don't wish to pay their obscene fees for accessing the internet". It's OK for the odd bit of browsing, but not for everyday use IMO.

You also need to wary of their data charges. Even if they say your data package is 'unlimited' they often have a fair use policy - go above that and they'll probably charge extra.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I plan to use it as a back-up to my normal internet access, as well as possible business trips when hotel wi-fi service has a charge.
Overseas is a barrel of worms regarding internet and mobile access. In Europe the European commission keeps on making suggestions of limiting the excessive charges, but with little result.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
There is a cap of €1 between operators and they have to warn you at €50 - I am researching this.

frdjns74

Feb 18, 2009
My other half is attached to his blackberry, he uses it for the internet all the time and as he is self employed and does callouts he can access his emails etc when ever he needs to, we have ot through orange and have no problems with it at all.
:)

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I went ahead and sorted it out. It does work as a, slow, modem ok. I am using the Virgin network, and they charge an extra 30p a day if I connect to the internet during that day. I have'nt explored what limit they call 'reasonable use', but it seems ok to use as a backup. I connect via a bluetooth link.

peterf

Sep 20, 2011
I use mobile broadband quite a bit. It can work very well, but you wouldn't want to watch video over it. In order to keep the radio power from cooking your head, the speed never really gets above 1Meg, but for most purposes it's fine. But the biggest problem is that you have to watch your data allowance or get stung if you go over, and the data allocation for mobiles is even less than for dedicated mobile broadband.