DIY Tastic

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
There was great little booklet in Saturday's Guardian about how to do DIY around the house rather than call in the professionals. It does seem pretty crazy that half of us (me included) can't put up a shelf and so would pay somebody an extortionate price to do it for us. So this may well be the year I start trying to do a few more things on my own rather than paying people to do it for me.

achod

Nov 29, 2009
Good Idea! I've worked as a kitchen fitter for many years so know how to do most things around the house, but when I come across something I haven't done before I go to DIY & Interiors - how to videos Painting & Decorating, Electrical DIY, Plumbing DIY

Theres loads of really helpful videos on there!

And you can buy tool sets from B&Q that contain most of the hand tools you would need for DIY for about £50 But be sure to buy a half decent combi drill (one that has hammer action for drilling into walls), dont buy the cheapest you can find. Bosch is a safe bet for good power tools at reasonable prices. You can buy their DIY range from B&Q aswell, so one trip and your all set! ;)

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
That's all good to know achod. Only one slight problem left to overcome - I have to get rid of my builder partner. Need I say more? If you ever want your house finished don't marry a builder!

achod

Nov 29, 2009
Ahhhh Well that changes things completely then... You should just use your womenly powers to make him finish, maybe withhold certain things until he gets things done :p

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Ha ha. Well, from this conversation I may take away the thought that getting some decent tools from good old B & Q could be a good thing! Cheers.

Snippa

Jan 12, 2010
YouTube offer a ton of videos on DIY.

Even if you are totally hopeless:), the HD videos are clear and staged well.

makes sense now to do it yourself.

NickiSue

Sep 30, 2012
North Yorkshire
I am seriously cack-handed when it comes to DIY or indeed anything practical but YouTube has been great for smaller projects, especially as I can pause and re-watch many times :)