HARRON HOMES v HOUSING ASSOCIATION

YorkshireLass

Feb 4, 2018
This is a long story, so please bear with me…

October 2014 I moved into my brand new, housing association home, built by Harron Homes of West Yorkshire. I loved it, and as expected with all new places it had a few minor snagging problems (nothing like the leaking roofs of the private owners) the worst being the paths leading up the the house which had been broken by the contractors driving heavy plant machinery over and reported at the time. I should point out that my home is one of twelve HA properties on a development of mainly detached dwellings, some of the private residents are snotty about us, thanks to some families, but, in the main, we all get on.

Anyway, I reported the broken slabs as soon as it happened, the HA said they would get onto HH, who asked for photos which were duly sent. I heard nothing, so asked the HA about a week later who denied receiving the photos and asked for more. HH finished on the development that December and asked for a snagging list, which I provided, including the pathways, which were now even more damaged. I should add at this point, that I am disabled by spinal problems, so an even path is essential. All of my snagging list was completed within a month or so, except for the path but contractors had actually measured them up, so I assumed that would be forthcoming… here we are almost 3 years later and still no new slabs laid! Last week one was standing proud and I jarred my back and neck tripping over it.

Fast forward to this past week. The roads have finally been finished off and the contractors have mentioned that our paths (my neighbours are broken too, not as bad as mine, but still) and resin driveways have been reported to HH (again!). My Housing Officer has said that they're in talks about which is the best way to resolve it, but it has been ongoing for almost 3 years now and I'm getting fed up.

So, does anyone know what my rights are to demand that it is done within 30 days? I've emailed my HO and said that I tripped, that it has been going on far too long and that I will give HH 30 days to rectify it and then I am taking legal advice. Not only is it dangerous, it's a complete eyesore, I know the snotty private residents discuss the state of our houses letting the development down, but not a lot we can do than we have already done… is there?