Help! Very disappointed by Selfridges.

Jeanmace

Feb 28, 2010
I'm new on this site and I've come to ask for some help.
I bought my 14-year-old son a pair of £75 Kurt Geiger shoes at Selfridges the weekend before term started last autumn. Within a month, they had deteriorated so much that they looked as if they had been made of paper, not leather. I took them back to the store and they said it was my son's fault and it was down to excessive wear and tear. They wouldn't replace them. I sent them to Head Office who said the same. They agree with me that the shoes are in poor condition. Where we disagree is that my son is to blame. (He doesn't play football and the left shoe is by far the shoddiest even though he's right-footed) I bought him a new pair of Jeffrey West shoes in October to replace these and he's been wearing them to school every day since. After 5 months they are still in pristine condition, which proves that the Selfridges ones were simply not fit for purpose. They are made from the worst leather I've ever come across and really do look as if they are made of cardboard. I've got forms for the small claims court because I'm so upset by Selfridges poor attitude i.e we're to blame, not their staff for fitting unsuitable shoes to a 14 yr-old and not Kurt Geiger for manufacturing such poor quality shoes, yet charging a premium. Have any members gone through the small claims process, because reading the forms, it looks quite complex to me?
Any suggestions how one gets justice out of an uncaring giant like Selfridges who refuse to admit that they might be wrong?

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
So are you saying you took the shoes back after one month? I would have expected a pair of shoes to last longer than that even if he did play football in them! Ask to speak to the manager of Selfridges. Have you tried that? Kick up a fuss. It might work. I would have thought Selfridges cared quite a lot about customer service ...

Jeanmace

Feb 28, 2010
hi rachelle

i've tried everything including sending the shoes to their head office, but Selfridges won't accept any blame. as far as they're concerned, my frustration doesn't count. i know he didn't damage them - he's wearing a different pair now that are pristine after 5 months - but they don't care.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
That's outrageous. I would carry on writing letters to the boss saying how disappointed I was with their service. I'm sure at some stage it must gauge a reaction?