How often should I turn my Computer off & on?

mbkimberley

Dec 21, 2015
Shepshed UK
I have never heard of this before. I have to say that mine can be on for 24 hours a day. They seem to last okay for 2-3 years. I cannot see any issue with turning them off though, there has to be less wear and tear to have it off.

Folkys86Kevin

Jan 15, 2016
That's weird, I haven't heard this before. Mine gets turned on when I am home from work and stays on (even if not being used) until bed. This is only 5-6 hours though

vernicescheiber

Feb 22, 2016
Obviously cutting the power or pulling the cable without shutting down properly could do damage, but are components at risk from standard shut downs and start ups? What impact is turning that computer on and off having, and how does it compare to leaving it on all the time?

DeliaEJames

Jul 13, 2016
I'm on my laptop all the time almost 18 hours a day max. Not turning it off for days may damage the battery.

JohnMGonzalez

Jul 13, 2016
Keeping it on for long hours may damage your battery. It may also lead to overheating. I keep my laptop on 3 to 4 days straight and I usually end up with a busted battery. had to replace the entire unit 3 times over the last 5 years.

bonniesbrn

Oct 12, 2016
London
There is no such thing as "too much turn off", if it is not by using the cable instead of the "shut down" button. After you finish with whatever work you have on your computer, simply shut it down. This will also extend the battery's life.

laurathomas

Nov 28, 2016
For a laptop, it's best to turn it off when not in use. For prolonged battery life leave it plugged in when using it as well; battery lifespan is dictated by the amount of charging cycles.

For desktop PC's it doesn't matter at all - leaving it turned on all day is fine.

adamlazell

Nov 28, 2016
Suffolk
www.theverybusybees.co.uk
It really doesn't matter it seems.The general feeling is 50% say turn it off & on when needed & the other 50% say leave it on.
As long as you use common sense when doing so you should be okay.
Obviously if you have a small machine that gets very hot ,you should not be leaving it on all of the time.
Hope this is helpful to you .Adam.