Nikon 200-500mm VR and WEX photographic

ipdouglas

Mar 15, 2016
Hello, I have recently been required to return for repair a Nikon 200-500mm vr lens purchased from WEX photographic. This item was 42 days old when returned and foul weather and the fact such an item cannot be satisfactorily tested indoors meant this time had elapsed before I could return within the 3o days.
I do not want a refund I want a replacement so no change of mind just dis-satisfaction with the quality of this item (I have two of these so am priviledged to be able to compare them).
It is clear this item is of significantly less quality when compared directly with the same lens I already owned. I paid the full retail price with WEX yet they have insisted on a repair. having checked the SOGA I am required to accept this I believe?
Where do I stand if this is returned and no improvement in quality is obvious? WEX are already using expressions like 'In tolerance' etc and NIKON themselves are notorious for not owning up to problems and serious batch variations (see Nikon D600 Oil spot issue and subsequent successful US class action).
I dearly hope this lens is improved but I am dubious as whether this is achievable without some serious activity in the repair shop.
What should be my next action if the issue is not fixed?
WEX are telling me it is a 'management' decision however the management were not involved before WEX customer services insisted on a repair and refused any further discussion? I would have thought as this expensive item (£1179) was 42 days old in well recorded extremely foul weather that a decent management would have replaced immediately and sent it back to Nikon?
Any help gratefully received from all the brains out in Internet world.