Paysafe scam

LID

Mar 14, 2012
I replied to an ad on Friday-ad for a Kindle.
I received the following reply

Hi,
Lots of interest on the ad a potential buyer from eBay came around today to see it, he sent a deposit but we couldn't come to an agreement on the price. It's hi's loss and maybe your gain. Will be leaving for work now, my number is 07973425052 low signal strength but you can leave a message. To save time I already packed it and left it with Parcel Force for a possible delivery, put in the original purchase receipt as well. If interested just contact me with questions and we'll take it from there.
Ta,
Carol.

I sent a number of emails. Some of my questions were answered
I was even directed to Carol's google plus profile

Finally I received this one:

The thing is I just started a new job so being busy with work will need to post it. Just to let you know I have a business account with Parcel Force so the charges for delivery will be only a few quid, I'll pay for it. Payment will be made upon delivery, you'll have the chance to inspect the package and void the shipment if not satisfied. Therefore all I need now is a name, full address and a contact number for the agent to call you prior to delivery. I'll book it online as soon as I have the details so send me also a convenient time frame when someone is home to receive it.
Carol.

I decided to buy the kindle and received the following email, purportedly from Parcel force
(but on close inspection from a gmail address email.partner.server3 claiming to be on behalf of parcel-force-team at post.com
Parcel Tracking details
==================
At the request of Carol Andrews, this notice is to confirm that the following shipment is in transit.

Important delivery information
----------------------------------------------
Temporary parcel number: PBIB2024182001 *Pending-Not valid to track online*
Ships to: My name
my address
my phone number

Payment required within 24 hours:
Instructions:
1. Find a corner shop, newsagent, convenience store, supermarket or outlet that has the PayPoint sign as you can see bellow:

2. Ask the shopkeeper for a £40.00 PAYSAFECARD voucher-*NOTE:You can also use combined values of 1 or more PAYSAFECARD vouchers.
3. Reply to this invoice directly with the 16 digit PAYSAFECARD code printed on the voucher.
4. Our department will automatically validate your voucher and release the parcel out for delivery.
5. The delivery agent will call you on *my phone number* 1 hour prior to delivery. You are able to inspect the contents and if satisfied you will need to sign for it. If not, then a refund will be made within 24 hours and our agent will return the parcel as rejected.

Parcel Force Package Inspection Department
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in and accompanying this communication may be confidential and is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please delete and destroy all copies immediately.
Parcelforce Worldwide is a trading name of Royal Mail Group Ltd. Parcelforce Worldwide's principal office is Lytham House, 25 Caldecotte Lake Drive, Milton Keynes, MK7 8LE. Royal Mail Group VAT registration number: GB243170002
==================

I did not research properly, and was under the impression that I would give the vouchers to the driver on delivery.

Needless to say, no parcel arrived, and when I phoned Parcel Force they informed me that they do not work with Paysafe vouchers.

I phoned Paysafe.
The money had been spent and paid for something through Global Collect BV - clearly nothing to do with Parcel Force.

Money gone, no kindle and feeling very stupid!!

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
How did you pay? if with a debit card you could ask your bank to try a chargeback on it.

You could also go to the police, this is obviously fraud, trading standards need to know too. If the google+ account was the perpetrator, even if not genuine, it can be traced back to the account holder, as can the email account.

LID

Mar 14, 2012
This is the stupid thing.
I bought paysafe vouchers with cash.
I thought someone needed the physical voucher to cash it.
The scammer was clever enough to ask for the voucher number, when in fact I sent the PIN

irncru

Mar 23, 2012
Just signed up to say thank you very much for posting this up. I was just in the middle of counting up my money to go and buy a 50 quid paysafe voucher for a digital camera. Googled paysafe and the first thing I saw was this link. Fully fell for it. I did find it a bit strange how the replies I was getting weren't making a huge amount of sense. My conversation was very similar, I'll post the replies for people

Hi Liam,
I can post it. Tomorrow evening is the best I can do if you want to pop in and have a look, I won't go any lower on the price so don't waste your time and money. Can also be reached by phone 07973425112 low signal strength :( but check my emails regularly.
Ta,
Lynn.

Next -
10 quid for postage. Lots of interest on the ad but unfortunately I got called into work so very busy for the next few days. I've made arrangements with Parcelforce, will drop it off to our local depot and they'll handle delivery for the happy buyer. Got a business account with them so to save cash will use the express 48h large service. Payment will be made upon delivery, you can open the package and void the shipment if not as described without being charged. If it's alright with you I'll need a name, address, contact number and time frame when someone's home. Let me know either way.
Lynn.

I then replied and immediately got an email from 'Parcel Force'.

Just realised as well that the original message sent to them from friday ad that was included in my first reply was to someone called Dexter.

Watch out for this one!

verylucky

Mar 28, 2012
hia i was one of the lucky ones i went to shop for voucher but shop keeper didnt know which i needed lucky for me and on the way home to see which it was i thought i havent any information address etc on the person selling the item 2, the item was cheap 3,they were only 30 mins away but kept making excuses for me not to collect so thoughts turn to suspision and checked the internet and everything in the mails i recieved was in the scam emails.

Synthasy2000

Apr 12, 2012
Clare, Suffolk
www.strellis.com
Many thanks for the heads-up here :) and I'm sorry that people have been taken in on this :mad:

I was halfway through a transaction from a Friday-ads advert for a Canon 40D digital camera. I did get suspicious and checked for a scam and finally stumbled onto this page. Needless to say it was going for about half the eBay rate!

The replies were identical including fake Google+ account and not wanting it to be collected. I did give out my works address as a way of avoiding identity theft issues. Now the scammer has gone quiet on me. I wonder whether to string them along and waste their time so they are not scamming anyone else.

I also got doubly suspicious when replying to an advert for another digital camera a Canon 1D Mark III - at a great price again no less! The standard of English in the advert was excellent. The standard of English in the email replies was, let's say, not great. Also,they clearly had no idea about cameras too. The camera was in London and now surprise, surprise he is in Liverpool with the job. It all adds up to suspicion.

However, no way will I pay for something remotely without seeing it in the flesh. eBay and PayPal do at least give you some protection and this is why scammers are looking at alternative routes.

If the price is too good to be true then it is!

I've reported both ads to Friday-ads as scams. Hopefully they will get pulled and no one else get duped.

New-n-naive!

May 1, 2012
Got caught out on this scam [ using UKASH ] a few days ago and lost £30 cash through PAYPOINT.E.mails as below were similar to previous scams. ParcelForce confirmed that they did not use UKASH and would never request personal details in an e.mail. Wish I had found this page beforehand but too late now !! Hope this will help someone

“ I won't go any lower on the price so don't waste your time and money. Can also be reached by phone 07973423112 low signal strength :( but check my emails regularly.
Ta,
Nora.”

“Lots of interest on the ad but unfortunately I got called into work so very busy for the next few days. I've made arrangements with Parcelforce, will drop it off to our local depot and they'll handle delivery for the happy buyer. Got a business account with them so to save cash will use the express 48h large service. Payment will be made upon delivery, you can open the package and void the shipment if not as described without being charged. If it's alright with you I'll need a name, address, contact number and time frame when someone's home. Let me know either way.
Nora.
Will send it along with some company stuff so there's no delivery charge. Great, I've just finished filling out the forms online and Parcel Force will handle payment as well, you'll need cash. You should receive email notifications on how to proceed. Get back to me if you don't receive them and if you have any queries, glad to help.
Nora.
P.S. If not in your inbox check your junk or spam folder also.
Check me out on Google+ :

Headed Parcelforce document used with details as below:

Parcel Tracking details
==================
At the request of Nora Alexander, this notice is to confirm that the following shipment is in transit.

Temporary parcel number: PBIE2554825001 *Pending-Not valid to track online*

Ships to: Name………………………………………..
Address……………………………………………………….

Instructions:
1. Find a corner shop, newsagent, convenience store, supermarket or outlet that has the PayPoint sign as you can see below:
2. Ask the shopkeeper for a £30.00 UKASH voucher.
3. Reply to this invoice directly with a readable scan or photo copy of the UKASH receipt.
4. Our department will automatically validate your voucher and release the parcel out for delivery.

5. The delivery agent will call you on [ your number ]* ----------------* 1 hour prior to delivery. You are able to inspect the contents and if satisfied you will need to sign for it. If not, a refund will be made within 24 hours and our agent will return the parcel as rejected.

Parcel Force Package Inspection Department
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in and accompanying this communication may be confidential and is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please delete and destroy all copies immediately.
Parcelforce Worldwide is a trading name of Royal Mail Group Ltd. Parcelforce Worldwide's principal office is Lytham House, 25 Caldecotte Lake Drive, Milton Keynes, MK7 8LE. Royal Mail Group VAT registration number: GB243170002
=================

Katie8810

May 9, 2012
Gumtree scam

Hi

I have just nearly been caught out on this scam too.

I found a wardrobe for sale in Dorset on Gumtree and after contacting her this is how the emails went

[I]"Hi Katie
My Postcode is DT1 1EE and you can dismantle the wardrobe. Tomorrow evening is the best i can do if you want to pop in and have a look. I wont go any lower on price so dont waste your time and money. Can also be reached by phone on 07973 423112 low signal strength :( but check my emails regularly.
Ta
Nora"
[/I]

i then replied asking for her house number and full address so i can come and view and i had this reply:

"Lots of interest on the ad but unfortunately i got called into work so very busy for the next few days. Ive made arrangements with parcelforce. I will drop it off to our local depot and they'll handle the delivery for the happy buyer. Got a business account with them so to save cash will use the express 48h large service. Payment will be made upon delivery, you can open the package and void the shipment if not as described without being charged. if its alright with you ill need a name, address, contact number and time frame when someone's home. Let me know either way.
Nora"

when i replied with a business address for the delivery i got the following reply

"Booked it for Monday, will send it along with some company stuff so theres no delivery charge. Great, ive just finished filling out the forms online and ParcelForce will handle payment as well, you'll need cash. you should receive an email notification on how to proceed. Get back to me if you have any queries, glad to help.
Nora
P.S if not in your inbox check your junk or spam folder also."

As if by magic i received an email from ParcelForce Worldwide (royal-mail-group@post.com) asking me to either do a transfer or BACS into the following account:

Bank: Barclays Bank
Acct name: ACCA
SC: 20-33-70
Acct No.:40779938

or to reply with my bank details (this is where i thought it was getting dodgy and decided to do some research first and came across this site).

Ive not paid (luckily) and will be contacting GumTree, Barclays & Parcelforce to let them know of this scam.

Luckily for this thread i didn't get caught out and i hope others dont too.

Thanks
Katie

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Thanks for letting us know, the more people we can prevent getting ripped off the better.

Get a feeling of deja vu on this thread, I wonder how many people have been caught out by this now?

New-n-naive!

May 1, 2012
Hi Katie
Glad you found my thread- this has made me feel very happy as I wanted to try and stop the same thing from happening to anyone else.

sleepymeuk

May 14, 2012
I've just had the same dealings with a Gumtree seller. The emails are VERY similar and I was sent a request for payment from a fake ParcelForce email.

Hi Adam,
My postcode is CV37 6LE. Tomorrow evening is the best I can do if you want to pop in and have a look, I won't go any lower on the price so don't waste your time and money. Can also be reached by phone 07973423112 low signal strength :( but check my emails regularly.
Ta,
Alexa.
Lots of interest on the ad but unfortunately I got called into work so very busy for the next few days. Would you mind paying cash upon delivery and inspection? Asking this because I have the opportunity to send it with parcelforce along with some company stuff so there's no delivery charge lol :) company benefits. I'm sure it will save you some time and our company's next shipment is due in 5 days. The guys from parcelforce are so nice and they can even wait for you to check it out and if you're not satisfied you can refuse it. If it's alright with you I'll need a name, address, contact number and time frame when someone's home, can even send it to your work address. Let me know either way.
Alexa.
P.S. You can open the package and void the shipment if not as described without being charged.
You can check out Alexa's profile on Google+ here : hxxps://plus.google.com/u/0/116731263126404310309
Glad I called ParcelForce to enquire about it. The moment I mentioned PayPoint, the PF representative stopped me and told me not to go through with it.

What a snake.

bondi0071

May 15, 2012
I've just had the same dealings with a Gumtree seller. The emails are VERY similar and I was sent a request for payment from a fake ParcelForce email.

Glad I called ParcelForce to enquire about it. The moment I mentioned PayPoint, the PF representative stopped me and told me not to go through with it.

What a snake.
i have just had the same dealing's aswell with this seller shes selling a
id knew it was to good to eb true just glad i found this site before i purchased it. thanks for the heads up!!

RashaStoke

May 16, 2012
Same thing just happend to me today, and thanks god i saw this subject before i went paying.
i was ready to go and pay but my sister told me to check once again online if its real :eek:

Hi Sarah,
My postcode is ST19 9PL. Tomorrow evening is the best I can do if you want to pop in and have a look, I won't go any lower on the price so don't waste your time and money. Can also be reached by phone 07973423112 low signal strength :( but check my emails regularly.
Ta,
Alexa.

Lots of interest on the ad but unfortunately I got called into work so very busy for the next few days. Would you mind paying cash upon delivery and inspection? Asking this because I have the opportunity to send it with parcelforce along with some company stuff so there's no delivery charge lol :) company benefits. I'm sure it will save you some time and our company's next shipment is due in 5 days. The guys from parcelforce are so nice and they can even wait for you to check it out and if you're not satisfied you can refuse it. If it's alright with you I'll need a name, address, contact number and time frame when someone's home, can even send it to your work address. Let me know either way.
Alexa.
P.S. You can open the package and void the shipment if not as described without being charged.

Booked it for Monday am. Great, I've just finished filling out the forms online and Parcel Force will handle payment as well, you'll need cash. You should receive email notifications on how to proceed. Get back to me if you don't receive them and if you have any queries, glad to help.
Alexa.

Hope no1 gets into this and be carefull againn :( !

finkfly

Jun 9, 2012
yes me too. Alexa edwards trying to sell me a bass cab on gumtree.

Here is the sinario.

She says.

Unfortunately I got called into the office so very busy till next week. Back at work we have some shipments for large items with parcelforce all week long. Just thought it would save you time and hassle if I'll send it along with them free of charge :) company benefits :) .

I asked around and it seems you can pay cash upon delivery/inspection. It's quite simple since they're able to wait for you to check it out, if not as described they can just void the shipment.

If that's alright with you I'll need a name, address, contact number and time frame when someone's home, can book a specific time slot if it helps.

Working long hours so If you want to pop in and pick it up you'll just have to wait till next week when hopefully I'll get my head around :) .
Let me know either way.
Alexa.

(here there is a link to a google profile page. in the name of Alexa Asber.)

sounded ok so I sent my address and got this back.

Booked it for Tuesday am, 9-10am. Great, I've just finished filling out the forms online and Parcel Force will handle payment as well, you'll need cash. You should receive email notifications on how to proceed. Get back to me if you don't receive them and if you have any queries, glad to help.
Alexa.

Checked my mail and this came from what seem like parcelforce.

Parcel Tracking details
==================

At the request of Alexa Edwards, this notice is to confirm that the following shipment is in transit.

Temporary parcel number: PBIE5569536882 *Pending-Not valid to track online*

Ships to: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx My address

Instructions:
1. Find a corner shop, newsagent, convenience store, supermarket or outlet that has the PayPoint sign as you can see bellow:

2. Ask the shopkeeper for a £160.00 UKASH voucher.

3. Reply to this invoice directly with a readable scan or a photo of the UKASH receipt.

5. The delivery agent will call you on *my phone number* 1 hour prior to delivery. You are able to inspect the contents and if satisfied you will need to sign for it. If not, our agent will do a bank transfer and return the parcel as rejected.

This was the point where it all seems not quite right.

Phoned parcelforce who told me instantly it was a scam.

If you search the internet you will find that this scammer is prolific and still at large. Beware!!!

wendy1

Jun 12, 2012
Unfortunatley, we have been caught out by this piece of **** today!! I have been made redundant so thought a tent would be a good holiday idea. Saw the tent we wanted, checked out the web, and there was the bargain!! I will never deal with Gumtree again as even once Id reported it this morning, the ad is still on there. I cant believe wev'e been so gullable. I feel so sick at even being in touch with this failed medical experiment who is passing her/his self of as a person - what goes around comes around love, and it will get you.

finkfly

Jun 9, 2012
Sorry to hear that Wendy. This type of scam can be reported here:
www . actionfraud . police . uk/

I reported the ad I replied to on gumtree and it was removed.

But low and behold it has appered again today.

Ad ref 103757713

listed as: Ampeg SVT 810 AV Bass Cabinet 8x10 Vintage Silver
£160 West Yorkshire, York

Was still live last time I looked.

Gumtree really need to get their house in order.

wendy1

Jun 12, 2012
Hi, thanks for writing back. I wrote back to Gumtree last night, they really do need to look at their practices. I will never use them again - first and last time. We have logged with Action Fraud, so hopefully they may find something out.

jimreece48

Jun 13, 2012
Sadly my wife has just been caught out by Alexa Edwards via a Gumtree advert. This time it was a reduced cost weight loss vibrating machine and she paid cash. I see that Gumtree has already been alerted to this scam but adverts are still there. I have obviously written to Gumtree to point out that they really do need to respond quickly to complaints about these ads.