Preowned PS3.

Bastet

Jun 10, 2015
Hi guys, new here.

I had a question about warranties etc.

I just bought a 60GB PS3 (the ones which play PSOne and PS2 games) from eBay for £91. The console is in pristine condition. The seller upgraded the hard drive to a 500GB one and it came with all of the leads and a controller.

I've set it all up and it works perfectly, and it plays all of my PSOne and 2 games nicely. I've also downloaded most of the free PSPlus PS3 games I added to my purchases via my PS4.

Everything is great, but I have concerns.

I've read a lot of bad things about the PS3 overheating and melting the soldering etc. I've been testing my PS2 titles to make sure they work, all afternoon, and the PS3 is like an oil heater! Wow it's hot in my room now!

My question is, do I have any sort of protection? Any warranty? I asked the seller and he said he'd give me 60 days from ordering, but what if I get the 'Yellow Light of Death' or something after those 60 days?

I read an amazing article by Tony on this site called 'Faulty PS3 rights' or something.

this doesn't mentioned preowned consoles.

Do I have 6 years from the date that the vendor initially bought the PS3, or does his remaining time from the 6 years not transfer to me?

Before anyone says 'you should have bought a new PS3', I bought this 50% for PS3 games and 50% for the backwards compatibility to play my retro titles and it's no longer in production or sold as new.

I pray I have some protection. When I read about the issues online, it fills my guts with dread that in 90, 100, 300 days or more my console could die.

The vendor, via e-Bay, seems to be operating a retro gaming business which has it's own website, similar to the larger trade-in sites. He's been great, answered my questions and gave me a 2 month return window, as well as delivering the item quickly, but what happens if it breaks down?

Can I ask him for his proof of purchase and give that to Sony? If he doesn't have proof of purchase can the serial number be used? The original warranty stickers are in place still and replacing the hard drive is confirmed by Sony as not voiding the warranty.

Please advise and thanks for your time.

Bastet

Jun 10, 2015
Oh, if this model came out in 2007 maybe I'm screwed either way if it's a six year warranty :-S. Oh no :(.

Bastet

Jun 10, 2015
I just had a reply from the vendor:

'Hi, Im afraid I trade in games and consoles so Im afraid I do not have the original receipt. You may find though that Sony may still repair free of charge should you experience any problems in the future as I had a rare ps2 console repaired even though I had no proof of purchase. Sorry I cant help anymore but Im glad you are happy with the condition. Thanks again,'

Bastet

Jun 10, 2015
Nobody??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????(100 character minimum sucks)

JohnMGonzalez

Jul 13, 2016
I feel you, Bastet. The 100 character minimum rule before you can post sometimes makes answering questions a bit difficult. specially if your reply is quite short. haha