Problems with postage

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
I sent a package sold via eBay using Royal Mail Signed For, but the eBay buyer was not in when they tried to deliver. The buyer emailed me to say she'd not had the item. I checked with Royal Mail and then I emailed the buyer and told her to call the delivery office and they would redeliver. The buyer has not replied to my email, and now the package is (some three weeks later) apparently being sent back to me (according to the Royal Mail website where you can track it).

I am not sure what to do now. Whose fault is it that the item has not been delivered? Can I ask the buyer to pay me more for additional postage or do I have to cancel the whole sale and relist the item and refund the buyer. Anyone been in a similar situation? :(

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I think you really need to speak to the buyer in order to decide what to do, but as far as I can see you have kept your side of the contract: you sent the item as promised. In your circumstances I think I would try to contact the buyer again, but if she hadn't responded after a week or so, I'd feel justified in re-listing the item. If she does still want the item, I think you'd be within your rights to charge her for postage again. It's worth checking eBay's T&Cs though, as they may say something about this situation.

perfumemaster

Mar 15, 2009
Look on the bright side.. at the very least you got the goods back. Things can get hairy with Ebay and Paypal when it comes to items not being delivered or "unauthorised" purchases of your goods.

I'd contact paypal.. as long as you have proof of postage, you should be able to work something out.

Hope this helps.

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
I'd also consult with the post office, this sort of thing happens quite a lot with a relative's internet-based business and he speaks quite highly of the advice the post office have given him.

I agree, you've paid to have the product delivered in good faith, they had ample time to collect it or be in at the right time, I think you should be within your rights to charge them for postage a second time.

Stacey

Oct 29, 2009
London
www.myhermes.co.uk
Hey!

These Royal Mail strikes are so frustrating you just never know when something is going to be delivered. I hope they sort it soon.

I work in PR and currently working on behalf of MyHermes. They have an offer for eBay sellers at the mo...giving 10% discount during the strikes. If you wanted to try them out or have any questions I'd be happy to try and help out :)

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I completely agree with GlasgowGirl. Strange that the buyer has just gone underground - but you've definitely kept your end of the bargain.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
My wife has had two bits of bad luck with eBay in the last few weeks. Firstly, she purchased some boots that were never sent, and the money she paid by PayPal was never claimed so is sitting in no man's land. Attempts to contact the seller initially failed, and when she did eventually get a phone number the person that answered just said that they were selling them on behalf of a friend and would find out what was happening, and then never answered the phone again.

Whilst all this was going on, she sold an item, and the buyer is yet to make payment.

In both cases, the other users had good feedback.

It's a shame as I usually back eBay up, but their service in both of these cases has been disappointing - their replies to all emails have been copy and paste answers that don't actually deal with all the issues raised, and usually just tell my wife to make contact with the other party. It's only after two weeks of hassling eBay have they moved both to the dispute resolution phase.

laura77119

Nov 5, 2009
As an alternative to Royal Mail with all its strikes, i've been using the Anyvan website. you list what you want moved and where to.. and couriers bid for the job by offering u quotes.. its pretty good and much more reliable!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I have bought some childrens shelves from Ebay on 27 October and paid for them immediately. I still haven't received them and am starting to get impatient. Am I? Does anyone out there think it is too early for me to get in touch to ask where they are? I don't want to be rude but at the same time I would like my shelves!

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I've had problems with postage and e-bay in the past, I've found that contact with the buyer usually (but not always) solves the problem.

E-bay are a bit hit and miss in my opinion, sometimes they give you the answer, other times they give you a text book answer that does not help.

My prefered method of sorting things out is to phone the buyer/seller.

Royail claim that the back log will be cleared with the next few days.

Rachelle, I would definately contact the seller and ask them to confirm the item has been posted.