Replacement PS3 Problem, advice?

HelenMarie

Mar 19, 2009
Hello all,

I am new here and I am looking for some advice regarding my boyfriend's PS3 (60gb). He first bought it when they first came out around 2 years ago. After about a year the system decided to give up and simply wouldn't play games or blue-ray movies anymore. After some searching around we discovered that this was a common problem and contacted sony who were actually very helpful and arranged for a replacement to be delivered. We have been getting on fine with this one for around a year or so only for the same thing to happen, but this time sony won't do anything about it unless we pay £145 as they say it is not under warranty anymore (the replacement system's warranty was apparantly only 3 months.) They also said we could pay a small fee each month to have a continued warranty.
The guy on the phone seemed to think we were being presumptive that we could get anything done about this after a year. However we believe that you simply do not pay nearly £500 for something to only last a year or two at the most.
I have little knowledge of what my rights are here, can anyone shed some light on what we are entitled to?
I realise there are already threads about PS3s breaking down, but seeing as this is already a replacement system our situation is a bit different.
Thanks a lot,

Helen.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Hiya Helen,

There's information in the link below about how long goods are expected to last...

How long can you expect something to last? | Consumer Information

I'd certainly feel you are within your rights to expect a machine that cost £300- £500 last longer than a year before being replaced with another machine that again only lasted a year. Assuming that you are not on the ps3 for 20 hours every day of course...

It is certainly worth investigating further and I think you have some cause for raising the issue through the sale of goods act. I'm not the expert on such matters. Tony I am sure will be able to help you further.

All I would say is if you have no luck with getting a free repair/replacement, then shop around. Local computer/console shops often can do fixed price repairs a lot cheaper than Sony and since it is out of it's warranty then you don't need to worry about a third party opening up the machine and invalidating the warranty.

Hope you get some good news regarding this as it seems you have been particularly unlucky to get two machines go wrong in the space of two years.

Ian

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Helen,

Yes you case is slightly different, but you can still go the the original seller or your credit card company, if you paid that way, and make a claim under the Sale of Goods Act. You will need proof of purchase though - this doesn't need to be a receipt could be a completed warranty card or a bank statement.

This case is very similar, but a PC. Note that PC World did actually replace the PC even though it had been for repair by Hewlett Packard. http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/consumer-law/2048-pc-not-working.html

Tony

john

Mar 28, 2009
PS3 disk reader error

We have a similar problem with our ps3, the disk reader has failed, it is nearly two years old and sony are insisting on charging £99 for a replacement. We feel this is unfair as it has had hardly any use and they're only giving us a three month guarantee. Have other people had similar problems with ps3's and how were they resolved?

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Hi John,

Mine was in warranty when it failed, so Sony sorted mine out for me with no charge, even though really it should have been HMV who sorted it.

Once the item is out of warranty, even if the Sale of Goods Act states it should still work, I think it is potentially a minefield trying to get the item fixed. You'd probably need to get some legal advice at some point if you intended to push it and I am not sure if the time and cost would make it worthwhile. Tony may be able to clarify this.

If Sony will do the repair for £99 then I'd see what a local computer shop could do the repair for. It may not be that the drive has failed. The lens reader may just be dirty with dust and in need of a clean (that happened with my old Playstation) however now that the units are all contained it is difficult to attempt any repairs yourself. It is worth remembering though that the PS3 unit is a Blue Ray and so may well be different inside.

You are right however, machines like this should last a lot longer than 2 years, especially with light usage. It is how you can prove that and get it resolved with the manufacturer that is the problem. It seems to me we have a problem in that Consumer law states that items should last X amount of time, but manufacturers are only willing to give warranties for 12 months.

john

Mar 28, 2009
Hi Helen Marie

Our son's ps3 has broken just before the 2 years are up, but out of warranty. However we seem to be reading that Sony relpace or repair everyone else's free, but they want £99 from us. You say your boyfriend has had 2 in 2 years, were they both out of warranty? Did you have to pay anything? as Sony seem to have been extremely unhelpful so far. Thanks

HelenMarie

Mar 19, 2009
Hi John,

The original PS3 I believe was just inside its warranty, but the replacements only have a 3 month guarantee. The original sellers always seem to refer people back to sony directly, and we have heard (although not officially so don't quote me on this) that this is an inherent design fault and as such they are constantly losing money giving people replacements.
The design fault I am referring to is the system apparantly just giving up on loading any games or movies, but still being able to function otherwise, playing music etc. We are going to go to our local citizen's advice bureau and see if they know of any way to avoid this charge. The temptation at the moment is to give up on the ps3 altogether and buy a new Xbox for £130!!
I'm not holding out much hope to get them to fix it again (or should I say send us another new system) for free, but I'll let you know what I come across.

Helen

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Helen and John,

Apologies haven't been keeping up with the thread.

If you have proof of purchase you should be complaining to the retailer not Sony - you are protected by the Sale of Goods Act. It is reasonable to expect a PS3 to last more than 2 years. Have a look at this:

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/other-goods-services/1972-how-long-should-last.html#post3815

If you don't have this and have got Sony or anybody else to fix it you are protected by the Supply of Goods and Services Act. They may give you a three month warranty, but this is in addition to your statutory rights. There will probably be a clause like this:
retra - radio, electrical and television retailers' association uk

These are your statutory rights:
Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 | Consumer Information

Any reasonable person would expect a repair to last longer than 3 months -
That the supplier will carry out the service with reasonable care and skill
A letter to Sony will do the job I reckon

Tony

john

Mar 28, 2009
Dear Helen Marie

After a few more conversations with sony, one of their management team got back to us, they were unwilling to move on price saying that the price for that repair had recently been reduced . However they did move on the guarantee and make it 12 months warranty instead of the original 3 months. Due to their incompetence when agreeing, paying for and arranging the repair they subsequently sent us a replacement for the same £99 fee and sent our son a free ps3 game in way of an appology. so a partial victory of sorts, and we are also still entitled to an extended warranty should we wish to take it after our 12 months.

On delivery I asked they courier how many does he do - 2 to 3 a day was his reply - so Sony must be aware of the problems but obviously too many give up the fight to easily!

It may be worth keeping up the fight,

Good luck

John and Helen.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thanks for the update John and interesting info regarding the courier - I wonder how big his area is. Could easily be a 100 couriers doing 2-3 a day!!!

Dond

Apr 15, 2009
PS3 Blinking Light of Death

Hi There
I'm very new to this forum but wonder if anyone has had this problem. My son has a 60gb PS3 which is just over two years old but yesterday when he turned it on the green power switch lit up, started blinking then went red. Since then it has refused to stay on for more than about two seconds.
I contacted Sony who say they will replace with a reconditioned PS3 for £145 however I've noticed on various forums that this is their standard reply but they have replaced PS3's with this fault free of charge. I tried insisting on a free replacement and referred to the various forums (Today) but Sony refused to change their position.
Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, how did you get on?
Thanks
Dond

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Dond,

Sony's response is fair enough, your contract of sale was with the retailer. Who did you buy it from and do you have proof of purchase? I can help you try to get it replaced free-of-charge if you have a receipt or bank statement showing who you bought it from. Also, did you pay with a Credit Card?

Tony

Dond

Apr 15, 2009
Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply, and also for giving me a glimmer of hope!

I understand your comment regarding Sony's response. After a bit of searching I've found the original receipt. We pre-ordered the PS3 from our local ASDA and paid cash £424.76. We then picked up the PS3 on the first day of release, 23rd March 2007. Does this information help in any way? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated as my son really loves playing games and watching DVD's on this and I really can't afford the amount that Sony are asking, even if they feel justified in their action.
Once again, many thanks for any help or advice you can offer.
Don

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Send this recorded delivery with a photocopy of the receipt. This slip of paper is worth £400 so keep it safe!

Your Address

16/04/2009

Customer Services
ASDA House
Southbank
Great Wilson Street
Leeds
LS11 5AD

Dear Sir/Madam,

On 23/03/07, I bought a Playstation 3 60GB from an Asda store for £424.76 which is not of satisfactory quality.

The problem is the device goes into standby a few seconds after it is switched on.

I wish to claim a repair as it is reasonable to expect a good of this nature and cost to last longer than this. This is one of my statutory rights as described in the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

A copy of the receipt is attached.

Please respond to my complaint within 14 days from receipt of this letter.

Yours faithfully

Dond

Last edited:

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Good luck with this Dond,

Tony's letters hit the mark. I've found retailers suddenly become more forthcoming to resolve issues to your satisfcation if you know your rights as a customer and are prepared to push the issue.

As you say, a little over two years for something that cost over £400 is abysmal really. I just hope my newly repaired machine lasts longer...

Let us know how you get on.

Ian

Dond

Apr 15, 2009
Thanks for the advice (And encouragement). I'm going to follow your advice and I'll keep you posted with the result. As you say, an item of this value should be expected to have a longer life.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Yes, let us know how you get on. Most people don't think this is possible and just pay Sony or whoever. If you provide an update I can give a real example on this forum which would be great.

Tony

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I don't believe it my son just turned on our PS3 - the green light comes on, it makes two beeps then turns off. It is 17 months old

Tony