Replacement PS3 Problem, advice?

chriss_m

Jun 7, 2012
Scotland
Hi guys!

Similar problem to you all, but the purchase was from Gamestation. Thought I'd do a bit of experimentation before proceeding with my complaint, so I called up Game and complained about the 'Yellow Light of Death' the Playstation 3 had suffered. Was greeted with quite a hostile reaction- the usual warranty stuff and how the SOGA wasn't any use because head office said so, but I should contact head office anyway. So they gave me the number, I called. The lady said, dismissively, that they wouldn't be repairing it because it's not within three years of purchase (it's around about four n' a bit) and that the five year provision of the SOGA is the window for raising a small claim- which is quite right. After a bit more arguing back and forth she just said 'Well, I suggest you contact trading standards'. Haha. Thought that was a bit brazen myself. I also contacted HMV, just to test their reaction out. The staff member who answered the phone also gave me the line about the warranty, but after informing him of the SOGA he confessed, politely, that he wasn't too sure and that I should come to the store and speak with a store supervisor.

Since then I've sent my initial complaint letter in the form of an email to Gamestation, but also via recorded delivery. I imagine they'll take this a bit more seriously, but I'm prepared to get an independent report when they ask for it. I post here, however, because I have a feeling Game/Gamestation may have decided that three years is a reasonable lifecycle for the good, so may need to take this to a small claims court.

I have every intention of doing so, but I must admit I'm a bit nervy about the length of time ownership of the product has been transferred for. Specifically because on browsing the web I found a case in which a woman turned up to an undefended action concerning this subject and was ruled against. If you're interested, Tony, I'll try and find a link to that forum for you.

So through my many nights of reading this topic, site, and forum, I've actually been unable to find anyone who's taken this to court, so I may require some advice at a later stage if at all possible. And, because of my numerous nights of reading, I'm quite aware of how frustrating it is when someone doesn't update the rest of us on how their claim is proceeding, so regardless of how mine proceeds, I'll be sure to keep you all informed.

Oh, just as an aside: I also contacted Sony and tried to appeal to their better nature. I didn't get anywhere, of course, but on arguing that there is an inherent flaw we discussed the Watchdog episode, which he then said was clear proof that there was no inherent flaw in the system. Found that pretty humorous. He also said he wasn't aware of anyone ever raising an action against a retailer for a replacement console. I suggested he attempt a Google search.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi Chriss,
If you do ever need some support or advice with court claims, do not hesitate to ask, many of us here know the details and procedures,
Also I'd like to note, SCC doesn't cost a huge amount, and so the attempt could be worth it, judgey might decide that 3 years isn't reasonably acceptable.

willsor

Jun 21, 2012
Hi there. I thought I may as well add to the end of the sticky, as I'm having the same problem:

I bought a 60GB launch PS3 from Play.com back in Nov 2007. It broke once, and I got a refurb from sony, probably about 3 years ago in 2009. It's broken again, and I have attempted to fix it myself and pretty much tried every home fix imaginable. I don't really want to fork out for a new one, as to be honest I don't use it huge amounts any more, but do you think I have grounds for a new one for free under (whatconsumer/faulty-playstation-3/) [Can't post links for some reason] It has been a full 6 years, and I have opened it up, so I'm not expecting an easy fight, so do you think it's worth me trying to get a claim?

Thanks

tottenhamhotspur

Aug 6, 2012
Yh mate ermm my mum bought it with her debit card on my Game account online on 25/12/2009 and its been working perfectly until about 2months ago it did not read my fifa disc i thought it was the disc as other games worked so i bought a brand new copy which worked perfectly until 3 weeks ago now all of a sudden my ps3 does not read any disc and makes an ejecting noise while disc is still inside. I have called sony and as my ps3 is out of warranty they can only offer refursihed which is about £147 which i cant afford i emailed Game with a copy of the drafts i saw in this thread no reply as of yet. A few people have mentioned getting a replacement of sony for free, is there anyway i could do so also as i would not be able to afford to ever get it fixed. Thanks for your help and time x

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
It's a bit of a tricky one, most of the posts on this thread relate to the same fault at roughly the same time period which indicates a design or manufacturing fault with the console. Yours seems to have a different fault.

Under SOGA goods which develop a fault not apparent at purchase can be replaced or repaired at the suppliers discretion but any refund would deduct an amount for the use you have had from the console.

You're argument is how long you should expect this console to last given the cost and expected quality of the item, if you read back through the forum, Sony themselves have stated that 3 years is a reasonable life expectancy and you have had less than this from your console.

tottenhamhotspur

Aug 6, 2012
Yh same mate was quite suprised there was acually numerous amounts of ppl with the disc reading problem would not have expected such a high end console having such kind of fault, cheers mate been a great help will try and call sony and try Game again and argue my case wil let you know how i get on with the advice you have given me. Been great help cheers