Writing content

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
While we can't all be JK Rowlings (she's worth around half a billion, according to the Times Richlist) you can make money writing content for websites. One of the best portals for this sort of work is constant content, where there's a steady flow of people looking for writers on a variety of topics.
Buy Website Content, Order Articles - Constant Content
Unlike many freelance writing websites it is free to join so it might be worth a look. I haven't worked there myself but I do know people who have. As with the book selling, it won't make you millions, but it could make you enough to be worth your while.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
You'll be surprised just how cheap articles go for - you'd have to write an awful lot to make it worthwhile (don't forget the time it takes to research a topic as well).

You'll also find a lot of competition from the Philippines, where they'll literally right a whole e-book for £50.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Chutzpah you are joking aren't you? How on earth are any British based journalists going to compete with ludicrous paltry sums of money like that? Time for me to have a rethink about what I should requalify as, as writing certainly isn't going to keep the wolf from the door!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I believe a lot of people will get a sale on sites such as constant content then farm it out to India and the Philippines. They will then edit to make it acceptable to British buyers.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I have a particular interest in this subject as I am making a living from Writing and Training (although I earn more for the training, I get royalties for some of the writing, so every January a cheque arrives).

I charge what I think is a realistic rate, and today (its almost 9am) I have been booked to re-write a CV. Also in the same batch of e-mails I had someone contact me, offering their services, they charge:

• Our rates are constant ($5 for 400-500words Content Writing) and ($8-10 for Essay, thesis, dissertation and academic papers).

This company is based in Singapore.

I'm not sure how can any UK based professional writer compete with rates this low, I guess at the end of the day it comes down to service, reputation and relationship with the customer.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Oh my goodness - that explains a lot!! As in why I'm not earning any money writing but may have to rethink my strategy and rob a few banks instead. I do have to say though, that the quality of a lot (not all!) internet writing is truly appalling and I would always go for quality over quantity!

Snippa

Jan 12, 2010
Not all writers have poor quality articles. The ones you see that are give the others a bad name. Which is not fair, but it happens. The economy is low and that could be the reason for the low fees being paid for articles. There are a number of places online that you can receive payment for what you post.

One thing to remember is that this field is not for everyone. Most times when an article is written by someone else research is not necessarily needed. With that the fee paid is not that bad.

Ribeye

Feb 19, 2012
UK
I have tested a number of content writers myself including those offering such incredible quantities for next to nothing and i ssure you, the quality is what you pay for in a uk writer and its worth every penny. The amount of time i have spent editing poor grammar and spelling has made me a loss on some jobs.

SimonEccles

Mar 15, 2012
I myself as part of my everyday job do copywriting. It's very true, if they are cheap, the quality of the writing will be cheap. In my field (SEO) it's not so bad sometimes but if we need good quality content I will take over.

In summary, if you want good quality content, go to a UK writer, if you want bulk orders, go to companies in India / The Phillipines.

If you are looking for a good UK content writer feel free to PM me here and I can give you my details :)

PhilMGarrity

Apr 10, 2012
Busy business love outsourcing parts of the work, so if you a good writer, you can earn good money with providing writing services :) I can earn around $400 each month for writing.

malch6598

Nov 5, 2012
I have tested a number of content writers myself including those offering such incredible quantities for next to nothing and i ssure you, the quality is what you pay for in a uk writer and its worth every penny. The amount of time i have spent editing poor grammar and spelling has made me a loss on some jobs.
Being UK based doesn't always guarantee that they are good writers, nor does a high price. I used I writer once who was relatively cheap and was an excellent writer (although I didn't tell him he should have been charging more money!) Maybe worth considering as a job on the side though.

Ashley1988

May 19, 2013
London
I love writing, both creatively and commercially, but dear lord, seeing how cheap articles can get on the sites you mentioned makes me hate it. Creative work can't have such a low value... on the other hand, the articles I've seen on the web very often are pointless jibber-jabber with minimal information and if you write something so shallow, worth 6$ in value, it makes me wonder why are we even trying to make this into a more serious profession? :(

SammW

Jan 26, 2016
I did this at Uni for a bit, but the prices seem to have come down a lot since then. Better to try and get relationships with good companies and charge more.

BarbaraJMcAnally

Jul 6, 2016
Outsourcing article writing jobs may not be a bad idea. There are many writers from the Philippines who can create compelling articles for a very cheap price. It's just a matter of finding one.

laurathomas

Nov 28, 2016
I've used Upwork in the past to find freelance copywriters. The quality of the freelancers can vary massively, but as with anything its a case of 'you get what you pay for'. That being said, if you're a good writer then I imagine you could earn a small fortune through some of these websites!

We have used copyright writers in the past but often found that they didn't really understand the nuances of our particular industry and as such, the writing didn't really work for us. To that end, we now write our own copy and have managed to combine the writing knowledge that we have learned with our technical knowledge of our industry so that it works for us. Best of luck everyone!

swipka79

May 6, 2021
Writing college papers are always really hard, so I decided that geometry homework help can be a wonderful support for students. You can freely get in touch with professional writers, to pass all the complicated exams and don't have any problems at all. So, don't panic at all. It is just college.