In situations where you are having some work done, and the main focus of the agreement is the service itself, you would be party to a contract for Work and Materials. This type of contract is governed by the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Under this legislation, you are always protected by three statutory terms, even though you may not have anything in writing, or the contract you signed does not specifically mention them.
Refer to the section on Doorstep Selling if you signed up to having some work done after someone paid you an unsolicited visit.
- He was a complete cowboy!
- They are taking forever to do the work!
- It cost me a fortune!
- The price was significantly higher than the estimate
- The job was done as a ‘foreigner’. Do I have any rights?
- How much can I claim in damages?