Bad experience with shoe purchase

Ann Joseph

Apr 17, 2013
I bought a pair of shoes from Sports Direct for my son aged 5+, for school use yesterday evening. He wore it to school today. I found that the outer black layer of the shoe was gone from the toe end of both shoes, like it was worn out. I took it back to the store and on entering the store I showed it along with the receipt to one of the customer assistants and requested an exchange as I had only bought it the previous day. She said I could get it exchanged and asked us to get the new shoes and then take it to the counter along with the one we had already bought to exchange. We spent an hour and a half and after we found one that fit, we took it to the counter, only to be told by the manager that he was not going to refund it because it was not a manufacturing defect(covering only the base of the shoe according to him) and was only an aesthetic defect because it only affected the appearance of the shoe). He then proceeded to treat me like an idiot who couldn't understand what he was saying, claiming that the shoe was damaged because my son didn't take proper care of his shoes. Is he right to say so? Am I not entitled to exchange the shoes?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I would have thought so, SOGA states goods must be durable and of satisfactory quality, these obviously are neither, I would go to the complaints department and Head Office and while you're at it, complain about the Managers attitude.