Business purchase-restocking charge dispute

louisewood12

Feb 20, 2014
Hi,

We are are a business who are being charged a re-stocking charge by Lockwells lectrics.

On the 18/10/2013 our company purchased some 400w Mercury Gear Trays and semi- Parallel igniters 240v for our workshop lighting. We had visited our local Droitwich branch and left them a sample of the gear tray we required. The service was standard and we understood that the trays would need to be ordered in and they requested to hold onto the sample tray in order to source the correct part.

When the items were collected our colleague raised concerns over the quality of the Gear trays supplied, which were different to the sample, dented & dirty and we were assured that they had been refurbished , were in working order and are the same thing.

We then called in our electrician in to fit the items. They raised doubts about the quality and said they were faulty. We then called in a second electrician for a second opinion, who again raised concerns about the quality of the trays, and he took a lot of time in showing us why they were not like for like as requested, something to do with nickle blah blah. He said the supplied trays were not the same type as the sample.

We returned to the Droitwich branch telling them of the two electrical company’s evaluations. The sales man told us that they had sent the sample off to their supplier who sent them these trays so they must be right and this means that we will be subjected to a restocking charge to which my colleague did not agree and walked out rather than kicking off.

Another colleague rang the Droitwich branch as we still needed the correct trays but they did not return any of her calls. We couldn't wait any longer and asked our second electrician if he could help us. He sourced some trays which were exactly identical to the ones being replaced.

We then had a statement arrive which showed we owed money on one invoice which when we requested a copy turned out to be a restocking charge. The invoice is over 30 days now and I don't feel that we should have to pay a restocking charge. If we had simply changed our mind then I would understand but the trays supplied were not fit for purpose.

We are going to battle this but first we need some help to make sure we have a strong enough case.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Louise