can I get a refund ? lost reciept

charls

Nov 17, 2012
cambridgeshire
Hello,

I recently purchased a supposedly good quality high thread count 100% cotton duvet cover set from Argos. I washed it only once before use following washing instructions, I wash every thing at 40' anyway, didn't have time to iron it. However I have just washed it for the second time only to find upon ironing it, I noticed that half of the cover has faded is or always was a lighter shade but I only see this when ironing it maybe because its worse on one side. Can I get w refund as I don't remember if I have thrown the reciept away or if have it ' somewhere' as I wasn't intending to take it back, hence why I washed it, until I discovered the colour difference.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hello,
Let me get this straight:
Purchased duvet set, washed before use, I assume you've then used it, and upon second wash & iron you've noticed the fading?

If the above is correct, you can request a refund under S.14 of the Sale of Goods Act, for the set not being of satisfactory quality - as it would be expected not to have faded upon the second wash. You may be hit with 'you've boil washed it / not followed instructions' but there is no way of either of you proving you washed it correctly (or incorrectly) - be prepared to argue your case.

Alternatively you could get a replacement, though if you have no faith in a replacement, you can choose a refund. It is YOUR choice what you want too out of refund / replace.
Argos are the biggest arses for trying to keep your money, and no doubt the sales assistant will assume that a duvet set can be repaired (they're told to send EVERYTHING for repair), so you may need a manager to sort this out.

I assume the duvet set had pillow covers etc.. And I also assume the cover cannot be purchased seperately, therefore you will have to return the entire set.
A receipt is worthless anyway, you only need proof of purchase, a bank statement (if paid by card) is suffice. If you paid with cash, and have no proof, you can tell the manager that s/he can go look at the CCTV if they really like (they'd prob be too lazy to check anyway).

Hope this helps.