Cold calling - Need your thoughts!

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Right everyone.
I want ALL of you to give your opinions on cold callers - the nuisance callers, the hassles, the silent calls, the automated calls, market research and any other direct marketing call!

Thoughts, opinions, good and bad, complaints? everything you think!
Do you get calls? Inappropriate times? How many calls on average a week? Who is the main culprit? Are you on the Telephone Preference Service? Are you ex-directory? Have you ever complained to the Information Commisioners Office? Have you told these callers to not ring again, but they still do?

I'm doing a report on whether consumers are in need of improved, tighter controls on such calls, but your opinions are needed!

Thank you
Adam

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I am on the TPS and still get occasional calls, I simply hang up if I hear any delay or automated recording, this is quite a recent habit as I used to tell them I had a pan on the stove and put the receiver next to the TV speaker until they gave up and went away, I have stopped doing this as I believe some calls are transferred to premium rate phone lines which charge.

I get loads of PPI or ambulance chaser text messages on my mobile, and always forward them to 7726 (spells SPAM on your keyboard) not sure if these are actioned but always remember to include the mobile number from which the message was sent when forwarding these as the number doesn't attach to the forwarded message.

Personally I'd like to see all forms of marketing banned, if I want to buy something, I will go out and find it!!!!

Peter123

Oct 30, 2012
I have mixed opinions n this topic. I used to work in sales so quite like hearing them out to see the quality of their sales pitch. Many of the companies that do the "cold calling" are actually offering decent and genuine products. Then you have the nusence companies who are a who are completing survays, all they are doing is lead generating. If you have a conversation with these guys you will be bombarded with calls for months afterwards. (Get them off the phone ASAP).

dpoet

Nov 26, 2012
I didn't see this thread before posting. I've found people frightened to answer their phone because of nuisence calls, I've found people who have had repeated calls at 5am on a Sunday morning. I wish there was some way I could get all unknown numbers redirected to a premium rate line run by a charity. I would love a whitelist of allowed numbers, with all others redirected. I am registered on the TPS scheme, doesn't stop them though. Marketing callers should have to give company details at the start of a call, Then I know which companies to avoid and complain about. I am considering getting rid of my phone because of them. My number is unlisted, I only give my number to a few people.

gary.dunford

Feb 6, 2013
I have mixed opinions n this topic. I used to work in sales so quite like hearing them out to see the quality of their sales pitch. Many of the companies that do the "cold calling" are actually offering decent and genuine products. Then you have the nusence companies who are a who are completing survays, all they are doing is lead generating. If you have a conversation with these guys you will be bombarded with calls for months afterwards. (Get them off the phone ASAP).
Info needed, Has anyone heard of Consumer Call Direct, Im trying to find if they are a legit set of people,as they rang up today, say they could reduce my bills over 2 years if I paid 100 pounds.Ive tried looking on Internet for info on this plus a telephone number I have, but had no joy. Thank you

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
How about you give me £100 and I'll reduce them for you?

This is likely to be chancers looking to make a quick buck, you'll find they'll make no guarantees and take your money and run.

You can reduce your bills yourself as I have just done:

Change your energy suppplier
Turn your boiler down a little
Switch mobile phone contract or change to sim only if you have a decent phone
Shop around for insurance
Check out mortgage deals
Challenge your broadband/phone/tv supplier
Thats all they are going to do, if they do anything, may take you a bit of time but I guarantee you'll save yourself at least £100 :D

gary.dunford

Feb 6, 2013

This is likely to be chancers looking to make a quick buck, you'll find they'll make no guarantees and take your money and run.

Check out mortgage deals
Thats all they are going to do, if they do anything, may take you a bit of time but I guarantee you'll save yourself at least £100 :D
Fast reply, impressed already, well they reckon they could reduce gas bills etc, and even left me a telephone number which I could only trace back to Manchester, they reckon they where going to call back in a few days, but I said I'd have to talk to the Missis first, then I got the 'well we'll send you all the paperwork in the post stuff', so Im just going to see what arrives. I will let you guys no the outcome, but dont hold your breathes. Great site.

gary.dunford

Feb 6, 2013

Check out mortgage deals
Fast reply, impressed already, well they reckon they could reduce gas bills etc, and even left me a telephone number which I could only trace back to Manchester, they reckon they where going to call back in a few days, but I said I'd have to talk to the Missis first, then I got the 'well we'll send you all the paperwork in the post stuff', so Im just going to see what arrives. I will let you guys no the outcome, but dont hold your breathes. Great site.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Yes please let us know, we're based in and around Manchester so will be interested to see where they are based but I think I'd swerve them if I were you, out of interest, did you ask where they got your number?

gary.dunford

Feb 6, 2013
Yes please let us know, we're based in and around Manchester so will be interested to see where they are based but I think I'd swerve them if I were you, out of interest, did you ask where they got your number?
No I didnt, stupid of me should of done really, but they left me a name and number, and said they would get in touch, the number the left was 01618149588, this is the number Im trying to trace back.

gary.dunford

Feb 6, 2013
Not sure if you got my last message, all very new to me is this. They gave me a number 01 618149588, I know its a Manchester number, but cant trace it back to a company.

gary.dunford

Feb 6, 2013
Ha ha, they are selling you a money saving pack and discount card, see my post below and join topcashback or quidco and you're about there.......now about that £100 ;)
Bang on, yes your right this is what they was trying to sell, bloody good sight, with excellent info.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
And we shall await tomorrow for their awful sales pitch once they see this site as a traffic source / link back on their webmaster tools .. :)

gary.dunford

Feb 6, 2013
And we shall await tomorrow for their awful sales pitch once they see this site as a traffic source / link back on their webmaster tools .. :)
Thats a bit Technical for me, (webmaster tools), lets see what happens with this paperwork, least its a real place, there intentions sound good, just didnt know whether or not it was/is bogus.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
It's not bogus if they do what they say they'll do but rather like PPI claimback sites, you can do it all yourself for free, I'm sure they find some idiots who fall for it without doing their homework