Comet - broken oven

Rach T

Aug 10, 2012
Newbury
I bought an electric oven online from Comet on 9th July and took delivery of it on 15th July. When using it on 7th August it made a big bang which was the inner glass door shattering. I immediately called Comet and reported the fault and they told me they would send an engineer to fix it. The engineer called, but told me there are no spare parts in stock and he would order it, but has no way of telling me when it will arrive. If it's not here in 2 weeks, Comet will chase again and give it another 2 weeks. I complained to Comet that it was unacceptable for me to wait indefinitely for my oven to be repaired and I would rather have a refund. (I have family coming to visit this weekend and I was meant to be cooking for them). Comet said I am out of my 28 days where they can exchange or refund, even though there own T&Cs on the website state "9. Refunds 9.1 All refunds due for whatever reason (other than under the cancellation provisions set out in section 7 above) will be made within 30 days of collection of the product."

My question is am I entitled to a refund if a product breaks just 23 days after you take delivery of it (and conveniently for Comet 1 day outside of when they claim they would have refunded me) which they are now saying is from the date of purchase (9th July), not collection (15th July) as their T&Cs state.

I get absolutely no where with their customer service department, they refuse to escalate it or give me a name of someone else in charge and point blank refuse my request for a refund and also have the nerve to tell me that it's their good will they are sending an engineer to fix it. I have also emailed customer service and got an automatic reply saying they would reply within 24 hours - of course this has not happened.
Any help or advice gratefully received. Thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I love Comet, far cheaper than buying a ticket to see Jimmy Carr but just as hilarious :D

SOGA states that goods must be of reasonable quality and fit for purpose, you should be arguing that this cooker had a fault on purchase as it it obviously not usual for a cooker door to shatter after 23 days.

Your rights under SOGA apply only from the moment your receive the goods, not purchase them as this is the point at which you can inspect the goods.

SOGA also states that any repair must be carried out in a reasonable time, it does not specify this time but given that a cooker is an essential item, any delay is unacceptable.