Damaged Goods Replacement Question

EKA

Jul 11, 2012
Hi Guys - sorry if this is a dumb question

I recently ordered a set of dishes from an online retailer. They arrived very poorly packed (despite their pegging themselves as an online luxury retailer) and 4 out of the 24 pieces were broken. it was completely due to poor packing - they were loosely situated in a box that was way too large and had very little packing between the items to prevent movement during shipment.

The company has offered to replace one item, but says they are 'out of' the other items. The dishes are really hard to get ahold of in the UK, which is why I grabbed the chance online. The items could (in theory) be bought in a new shipment from the original supplier in Belgium, however.

Do I have any recourse here other than to just demand a refund and write this off? I would love to be able to demand that the company replace the items, not only because I really want them and don't want to have to pay heavy overseas shipping to order them from belgium but also because I am really peeved that the company that I bought them from are being so nonchalant about this. It completely could have been prevented with some slightly better packing and more attention to detail.

Thanks for your advice
e

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Under the distance selling regulations, you could cancel the order completely within 7 days without giving a reason.

under the sale of goods act, the contract doesn't start until you receive the goods and you can still reject them once you have had a chance to inspect them.

Unnfortunately, the supplier doesn't need to replace the damaged goods, they can opt to give you a refund if they cannot reasonably replace the goods.