Exercise bike return

nooie

Mar 19, 2013
Hello all, I bought a recument exercise bike for my mother from Powerhouse Fitness. My mother has M.S and struggles to walk so we thought a recumbent bike would be suitable for her. It turns out due to the angle of the peddals, her feet slip out all the time since she hasn't enough strength in her legs. She was ok on a standard bike, but this broke and needed a replacement.

Since the new bike wasn't suitable I boxed it up and called Powerhouse to ask for a refund and that we would buy a standard bike from them instead. I was told they don't take returns on special orders. I didn't see anything about it being a special order on their site.

Is there anything I can do to have it refunded?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi,
Unfortunately you do not have the legal right to return the bike simply because it is not suitable for your mother (as nothing is actually wrong with it).

Therefore you are simply clutching away at the stores goodwill.
I'm sorry it's not the news you wanted.
Adam

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Can I take it this was an online purchase? If so they will be using the 'special purchase' line to get out of taking it back under the Distance Selling Regulations (assuming you contacted them within 7 days)

If the bike was advertised on a website for general sale, I wouldn't accept their excuse.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Apologies - after reading Witch's reply in a confused state, I've re-read yours. Where you clearly state 'site' . Doh. Ignore me :p