Faulty appliance in new house

Mark's Wife

Dec 1, 2012
Hello, I hope someone can advise me.

We have just moved into a house we bought. The previous owner installed a new kitchen about a year ago although he never used any of the appliances. The CDA gas hob and oven are brand new and I had to 'burn' the oven before I could use it.

There is a problem with the gas hob with one of the burners. It ignites when turned on but once the button is released, does not stay lit. I contacted the manufacturer originally who told me that the guarantee was with the previous owner and I would have to pay for an engineer to visit and if he could repair it I would have to pay for parts. If it could not be repaired, I would have to pay for a new hob.

I have since contacted the company who provided the kitchen and appliances and they have sent someone out to inspect. This issues was a known fault with these hobs, but it seems that that in this instance it cannot be repaired.

Do I have recourse as the buyer against the supplier under the sale of goods act? After all, the hob is not 'fit for purpose'.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
No unfortunately not because any contract under SOGA is between the buyer and the supplier, same with any warranty provided at the time of purchase.

Your choices are either to ask the previous owner to sort it under SOGA (as a favour, not because he has a legal obligation), make do with 3 burners until you can replace it or replace it yourself.

Sorry the news could not be better for you.