Faulty Dress please help

westrise21

May 30, 2012
Hi guys,

I bought a dress 8 weeks ago to wear at my daughters christening 2 weeks ago and at a wedding this weekend. The dress was £160 and after taking it to the dry cleaners today, they pointed out it had frayed at the shoulder seams and come apart - on both sleeves in four different places. The dress is made of chiffon. The shoulder seams have about 1cm width of fabric, the seams elsewhere are about 3/4 inch. At this point, I took it back to the shop and explained to them I had worn it at my daughters christening for approx 5 hours and now it is unwearable - because it is frayed it is also unrepairable.
The shop assistant spoke to the shop owner who said she will have to send it back to the designer to establish whether or not it it is due to wear and tear or a design fault. As the shop owner was not in and hasnt seen the garment, I have to go and see her tomorrow.
Any advice on what I should say to her re her response would be really helpful please guys.

westrise21

May 30, 2012
Please help!!!!!!

Hi guys,

I bought a dress 8 weeks ago to wear at my daughters christening 2 weeks ago and at a wedding this weekend. The dress was £160 and after taking it to the dry cleaners today, they pointed out it had frayed at the shoulder seams and come apart - on both sleeves in four different places. The dress is made of chiffon. The shoulder seams have about 1cm width of fabric, the seams elsewhere are about 3/4 inch. At this point, I took it back to the shop and explained to them I had worn it at my daughters christening for approx 5 hours and now it is unwearable - because it is frayed it is also unrepairable.
The shop assistant spoke to the shop owner who said she will have to send it back to the designer to establish whether or not it it is due to wear and tear or a design fault. As the shop owner was not in and hasnt seen the garment, I have to go and see her tomorrow.
Any advice on what I should say to her re her response would be really helpful please guys.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Re: Please help!!!!!!

It is down to the shop to sort this for you, what discussions they have with the manufacturer are not for you to worry about.

Obviously a dress worn once then falling apart is neither of satafactory quality nor fit for purpose.

When you go see them explain your rights under SOGA, replacement or refund, obviously you are not going to accept a repair, if they refuse, I would take the dress back home and go to consumer direct (phone number at the top of the page)