Faulty Freezer

debson1

Nov 21, 2012
I bought a small chest freezer from currys on 4/11/12 & last night I went to get food out of it & was horrified to find everything in the the freezer was soft. There was still power going to it as the power light was still on. There was a clicking sound every so often from the back but that was all, It was as though the freezer thermostat wasnt getting through to be switched on.

Anyway my question is:- Will I be able to claim compensation from currys, as the freezer was full of food worth about £300.00, I have insurance to cover freezer contents but have to pay £150.00 excess for that & I will lose my no claim bonus. I look forward to hearing from anyone that can give me any advice.

Thanks Debs:confused:

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hello,
I know it sounds stupid, but.. If there is indeed a fault, and this is detected by their engineer/whoever they send. Then yes you can claim for your 'consequential loss'. However of course you have the difficulty of proving how much food has been wasted.
Take photographs, write an inventory, even offer to leave the food inside it to show the engineer.

Of course if there is found to be no fault, and is simply your error of not flicking a switch, spinning dials etc, then unfortunately not.

Hope this helps.

debson1

Nov 21, 2012
Thank you for your reply, as we had the freezer for less than 21 days we were entitled to a new freezer, so we had to take the faulty freezer back into currys today & exchange it for another new freezer of the same make.

When we explained the fault to the store assistants they thought it sounded like a micro switch fault. As for the food we put it all into bin bags & put it into wheelie bin. I have written an email to currys head office still not had a reply yet though.

Debs

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Right, well just wait for their reply then, let us know what's happening too, if they follow their usual trend, they'll try squirm out of paying.. Should be interesting.