Insulation and Boiler company Bullying elderly lady

TinkerbellBee

Oct 31, 2013
Hi

I would appreciate some feedback on the following:
My elderly confused mother in law foolishly signed a contract for a new boiler with an engineer from a company who called her, visited and got her sign a contract on the same day! She thought it was the engineer we had previously booked from a reputable company so we didn't realise until the correct engineer visited on the agreed date!
The company carried out no work and because we cancelled 2 days after the cooling off period (as soon as we knew) they are charging her £600 for the boiler which she hasn't got and threatened a debt collection agency if she doesn't pay!! We have tried reasoning with them and offered to cover any administration costs but they won't accept! There are similar complaints on the web from other people!! What can we do.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I know it's difficult for someone elderly but I would just write to them and tell them you are not paying them and if they wish to take you to court for the money they are more than welcome to do so and that any contact from debt collectors will be taken as harrassment and will be reported to Trading Standards. Also tell them you consider the system was sold under duress and you will seek publicity if they continue to persue the matter.