Made.com and HDML

SMatthew

May 8, 2012
London
If you are thinking of shopping at made.com think hard. The furniture I bought broke within a week. Thereafter the situation became a disaster. Made.com use a third party (HDML) to deliver and pick up furniture. It took three months for the furniture to be collected. It took two months and several complaints to made.com before my money was returned. It took two attempts to refund the correct amount of money.

I arranged with made.com on three separate occasions for someone to come and collect the bed and mattress, took three half days off work, and nobody came, nor did anyone ever call afterwards to explain why or to apologise. What did happen was that about once every two weeks I would get a call from a driver who was outside my house to pick up the bed. I was never in because nobody called me in advance to let me know.

At the same time my Dad went in to hospital. I took a half day off when I should have been with him. I made clear to made.com whet the situation was and yet nobody came at the time I had been assured the bed would be collected. This time somebody did return my call. They suggested yet another time when they could pick up the bed again. I told them that I would be in another part of the country and we arranged a different time. Nobody came at the arranged time, but sure enough I received a phone call from a driver who was outside the house at the exact time I had said was impossible for me.

HDML would direct my complaints to made.com, made.com (when they bothered to reply to my emails at all) seemed at best indifferent. They mentioned that they had had problems with the delivery company before, but didn’t seem willing to accept any responsibility for the service I was getting. They told me that they had escalated the issue within the delivery company, but I saw no evidence of this and never had a call from the delivery company. I was promised a voucher to compensate me for the inconvenience. It never arrived. I was told they would organise separate transportation to pick up the bed. It never arrived and I never heard from them again. Nobody within either organisation apologised. Finally the bed was only collected by escalating to board level within HDML.