Online Plant/Tree order - refund refused

Dopey-moo

Oct 22, 2013
Hello All,

Some advice would be appreciated.

Apologies if I am in the wrong area, reprimand away if so.

I ordered a plant (conifer) well established back in may to go into a certain area of a garden renovation. To date I have received five broken plants all having to be returned to the company who sell online. In August we decided to complete the garden and give up on this particular conifer and asked for a refund. I was told as the order was so old I had to call in for a refund. I called and the manager (I think) picked up. He advised that they don't normally do refunds and could they have one final chance on delivery, I was reluctant as the spot for the conifer was now taken by an alternative but thought I would give them one last chance (soft touch I guess) especially when he made so many promises on how he would oversee the packaging and make sure this time the conifer was boxed, all others being loose delivered in Christmas tree style netting. He also promised some extra plants thrown in the box (not literally of course) as an apology. Anyway, last week Conifer number four finally arrives in net (no box) and broken so we have decided enough is enough and asked for a refund. But this guy is point blank refusing and stating a credit note only given he had fulfilled his contract and it is not their fault the plant has been damaged. I cant believe his cheek when we have been so patient oh and there were no apology extra plants with delivery as promised. I don't normally get so mad but we have stayed so calm and been so polite to date his actions are so customer unfriendly I am gobsmacked on his logic. Do we have a case to take this further, bearing in mind a credit note serves us no purpose anymore as there simply is no space in our garden as there was when we first ordered. Our order started May 5the last broken plant arrived 16th October, 6 months have passed? can he insist on credit note being all he is entitled to do even though he had made promises on packaging and failed to see them through? I told him we never ordered a broken conifer so there is no contract fulfilment and allowing them time to rectify and redeliver appears to have gone against us rather than if we had requested an immediate refund after the first broken plant was delivered.