Paying a Wedding Venue deposit with no contract? Can I get refund?

tootsi4

Apr 3, 2011
My partner and I went to view a wedding venue a couple of weeks ago. The girl we saw offered to reduce our wedding hire from £3000 to £1000 if we booked by 31st March and she also offered a couple of other things like a free bus for our guests from the wedding venue to their sister hotel 20 minutes away.
I have been e-mailing one of the girls in their office trying to get things in writing and I asked her to send me a contract to read before I paid the deposit and she said she would send the contract after we had paid – this is their normal practice?? I wasn’t happy with no contract but due to lack of choice and the time limit for the reduced hire charge I paid the deposit over the telephone yesterday.
I’m not happy. They have already gone back on the verbally agreed free bus (they sent me an e-mail confirming this wasn't something they offered) and they are being completely inflexible about me changing things like salmon on the menu. I also went on a wedding forum and some girls sent me private messages to say get everything in writing because they had problems with the company. I just have a bad feeling. Am I entitled to my £500 deposit back if I have not seen my contract and I paid over the phone? Does it fall under distance selling?

lilliah

Feb 21, 2013
Hi,
Did you ever find out about this? I'm having the same problem with my wedding venue.

We'd contacted a venue over email and they'd given us some info but not full prices and we had no access to the Ts and Cs about the wedding etc. We paid £500 deposit on Friday over the phone and we received a contract today but we don't want to sign it because we're not happy with them.

We asked as it's only been 3 working days if they'd return the deposit as we're not happy and they've refussed.