poor service at training salon

dmon1

Jan 5, 2013
Hi, I'm a newbie with a very painful neck!
For 6 years I have been using the local Sarah Hodge training salon and never had any problems. However, on my last visit (last oct) I had, what seemed like, a sadistic apprentice assigned to me to wash, cut and style my hair. I placed my head in the basin and she washed my hair with such vigour, the nape of my neck was getting pounded against the edge of the basin. It was pretty uncomfortable to say the least.
Then came the hair combing: repeatedly combing the back of your ear can be and was a sore experience and she seemed oblivious that she was doing it!.
In all my salon experience, I have never seen anyone use straightening irons as fast as she did. It came as no suprise when she caught my ear with them. She did say sorry, but that was probably because I jumped a foot in air....visible to all in the classroom.
I sat in the salon chair with my nerves shredded, longing for this 'service' to reach its conclusion.
Later that day and following day, the back of my neck ached with blurred vision and nausea. I was advised not to take a course of anti-inflammatories due to my asthma. I needed peace of mind, so got myself checked by a cranial osteopath. Although I was advised that the ligaments either side of the vertabrae were damaged and some massage would help speed up the repair process, there did not appear to be any major problems.
I have been using the hair academy for about 6 years. I have always appreciated the good value and have always found the students to be caring and considerate with a general desire to do a good job. But this student did not appear to have ANY training whatsoever!!
I did not want to cause a stir in the salon in front of the other students, but I did quietly bring it to the attention of the student's lecturer. I also emailed a letter to the academy director (Nov '12). To this day, I have heard nothing...and I continue to have a painful neck which 'cracks'. I have printed off a copy of the original letter which I will post, just incase they didnt get the 1st one. Is there anything else I can do, or should have done?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Perhaps follow up the letter with a phonecall, there is no saying this girl appreciates what it's like to be on the receiving end of her 'service' and after all, she is there to learn.

Unless you are thinking of a personal injury claim (which I am in no way recommending) I don't see that there is anything else you can do except make sure you get a different apprentice next time.