Problems with chiropody treatment

Leon

Jul 28, 2012
My relative lives in a care home 200 miles away. A neighbour kindly keeps an eye on her and lets me know if she needs anything. Recently she requested more money as "she has had to pay the chiropodist".
It seems she had treatment in June of this year costing £13.50.
As I am responsible for my relative's affairs I phoned the matron and asked if I could have a receipt for this and she said she "would see what she could do". Several phone calls and 2 letters later and still no receipt. They have, however, sent me the latest care bill without any mention of chiropody.
It seems that the home collects the money from the residents and then pays the chiropodist 6 weeks later when she comes again, which seems a strange arrangement.
I managed to track down the chiropodist concerned but she is very elusive.Either her husband answers or the a/phone is on and she does not return my calls. I have written twice, but no receipt.
I need a receipt as I can claim back the money from my relatives medical insurance and I have explained this to both the matron and the chiropodist. Surely there must be a paper trail somewhere? I cannot see why both parties are being evasive.
I don't really care who gives a receipt so long as I get one.
Any suggestions?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I can only think of 1 reason you wouldn't get a receipt for this treatment, that would be because there's something dodgy going on, perhaps this 'chiropody' was in fact a pedicure (quite a few doing that these days) or perhaps the chiropodist is working on a 'self employed' basis, cash in hand, nudge nudge.

Assuming that is totally incorrect and it is all above board, you should expect a receipt after the payment is made, 6 weeks after the treatment although I can't see why you had to send the money before the payment was due?

Also a bit puzzled as to where the neighbour comes into this? is this a neighbour in the care home or a neighbour to the care home? perhaps you could ask her to obtain an invoice before she hands over any money in future.

If all else fails, perhaps you will be able to sort it better when you next visit this relative.

Leon

Jul 28, 2012
Hello witch consumer and thanks for your reply.

The chiropodist is definitely self-employed

The "neighbour" is a lady who lives near to my relative's old property - not a resident. She will take in items for my relative that I can't post such as toileteries. I am happy for her to do this and she keeps all receipts for whatever she spends. When I go to visit my relative I stay with her and settle the accounts.

My relative actually paid the home following the chiropody treatment, not the chiropodist directly, which I thought was a bit strange.

I have written to both the home and the chiropodist to say that in future I will make the arrangements for my relatives chiropody by sourcing the service myself and be invoiced directly.

IMO this is either tax evasion or a way for the home to improve it's cash-flow but there's very little I can do about either.

Incidentally does my relative have a legal right to a receipt?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Anybody who pays a bill, even on behalf of someone else, is entitled to an invoice and a receipt (although the invoice can be marked paid and therefore becomes the receipt)