Protection for Sellers DSR

Jon1985

Jul 30, 2012
Does anyone know… I sold something online for £10.00 including p&p, it became faulty and the customer wanted an exchange. I agreed to pay the return postage and exchange but, they have sent it Special Delivery for £5.90. Do I really have to refund £5.90? It seems unfair and I’ll be losing money. Can I refund in Stamps? Thank you in advance.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Re: Distance Selling

Does anyone know… I sold something online for £10.00 including p&p, it became faulty and the customer wanted an exchange. I agreed to pay the return postage and exchange but, they have sent it Special Delivery for £5.90. Do I really have to refund £5.90? It seems unfair and I’ll be losing money. Can I refund in Stamps? Thank you in advance.
Hello,
Unless you specified the method of return, and you agreed to refund the cost, you must refund the cost. If however you stated 'send it back 2nd class recorded & I'll refund it' and they sent it special delivery, you would only refund the cost of 2nd recorded.
You would also have to return the cost by cash/bank or however they paid. As if you could pay in stamps, you could just pay back in buttons! :)
Hope this helps

Jon1985

Jul 30, 2012

Hello,
Unless you specified the method of return, and you agreed to refund the cost, you must refund the cost. If however you stated 'send it back 2nd class recorded & I'll refund it' and they sent it special delivery, you would only refund the cost of 2nd recorded.
You would also have to return the cost by cash/bank or however they paid. As if you could pay in stamps, you could just pay back in buttons! :)
Hope this helps
Thank you very much, at least I know. It's ridiculous really, consumers are protected so much but small businesses really aren't. No wonder small businesses are doing so badly at the moment. The customer's item that is 'faulty' is actually damaged but, I can't prove it so he's getting another one and it's only costing him £4.00. I'll end up hiking my prices up to cover these kinds of losses... It's a shame really. I suggested stamps because they have a monetary value and lots of people refund in Stamps. I'm not sure buttons are quite the same.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales

Hi Jon,
It's not necessarily the consumers are over protected, if you don't protect yourself in the first instance (terms & conditions) then its fair game.
Id advise you to change terms of sale to include a returns method for refund.

Forgot to add, though stamps do have a monetary value (as do buttons), did the customer pay for postage in stamps?

Jon1985

Jul 30, 2012

Hi Jon,
It's not necessarily the consumers are over protected, if you don't protect yourself in the first instance (terms & conditions) then its fair game.
Id advise you to change terms of sale to include a returns method for refund.

Forgot to add, though stamps do have a monetary value (as do buttons), did the customer pay for postage in stamps?
Buttons are erring on the side of ridiculous. I've been trying to ask sensible questions. I asked the customer if he was happy to receive postage stamps and he is, luckily although he's scamming me, he apparently has a use for stamps. In my opinion consumers are overprotected and small businesses are let down. I feel it's a real 'you vs me' attitude but, I digress...

Now I know, people can take advantage all they want unless you specifically ask them not to, all is fine and my question is answered.

It's nothing personal by the way, I don't want to offend you... Hence my little 'thanks' click! It's just annoying.