Refund from a Childminder

Lookforwards

Apr 13, 2012
Hello

We hired the services of a childminder on several occasions earlier this year, however we cancelled her services because we were unhappy with the quality of her work.

She has since been inspected by Ofsted the school inspectors and was found to have no public indemnity insurance which is a legal requirement for all childminders. Ofsted have published a report into this matter on their website since she was breaking the law by working for us as a childminder. I also have a letter from Ofsted confirming the above.

Can we claim a refund from her of the fees we spent on her services? Since we paid for an insured childminder to look after our daughter and she did not provide the service we requested and was operating illegally?

If she refuses to give us a refund is this a matter we could take to the small claims court?

Thanks for your advice :)

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
Lookforwards

This is not black and white because it depends on the contract you entered into however the service was primarily for minding your child and she did do that whilst your child was with her. Your post does not state the amounts involved but i would imagine if she only looked after your child on 'several' occasions it won't be too much. If this is the case then i think it may be best to leave it alone. It seems the damage to her reputation is damaging enough in its own right.