refunded without asking

poah

Apr 3, 2013
wasn't sure where to put this so please move if its in the wrong area.

I purchased a laptop at the start of December and it developed a fault. So I took it to the retailer (Sainsbury's) thinking they would send it to the company for a warranty repair. Before I realised the staff member had refunded me with out informing me this was going to happen though their computer system. They now want the laptop and won't (can't maybe) resell the item back to me. I don't want to give the compute back because it was a very very good deal and I won't get another one like it or afford to buy something of the same spec. I currently have the laptop to remove pictures etc off the drive but I wanted to know if anyone could advise me if I actually still own this since I never requested the refund.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Within 6 months of purchase the choice whether to take a refund, repair or replacement is yours so you could have insisted it was repaired. Has it been repaired or does the fault not affect the running of the laptop?

I would get in touch with them and tell them you want the item repaired under SOGA, see what they say.

poah

Apr 3, 2013
no its not been repaired I still have the laptop and want to send it off for repair as they don't offer that service it would seen they just refund the cash. The fault is power related so I can't switch the laptop on but I can remove the HDD to take off the info.

I never got the choice, they just refunded me without agreeing to it. I don't want the refund.

Obviously I have no problem giving them the money back and tried to but they say they own the laptop now and I have to give it back.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
As I said under SOGA the choice is yours not theirs, ask them how they would like the money back and what their repair procedure.

To insist on a refund they would have to prove the cost of the repair is disproportionate to the value of the product, they can't possibly prove this if they haven't sent it off for repair.

poah

Apr 3, 2013
thanks for your help - I'll probably be back for more advice when they refuse to take the money again. cause it was click and collect in sainsburys the store has to deal with another part of the company. makes life interesting since the GM manager didn't have a problem with wanting to take my money back but the people at the other end of the phone said they couldn't do it.

poah

Apr 3, 2013
CAB consumer line said sainsburys have done what they are legally obliged todo and my situation is a gray area which sucks. their advice was to complian to their customer services :(

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Technically they haven't but if they can prove it is uneconomical to repair, they will get away with it, I would still complain but do it through their complaints procedure which will be on their website.

poah

Apr 3, 2013
just thought I should update this. I wrote a complaint email via the website and the phoned and left a message that I didn't have to return the laptop and I keep the money because they have no way of taking it back off me :D

I have sent the laptop off to get repaired by the manufacturer